Fly Tying
Crackaig

February Flies from the Vice

Crackaig I agree, I think if the body only extended to the point the body would look out of proportion; I'm happy to tie to the barb, it looks good to me anyway.

Thanks Mike

BATWINGLTCAHILLEM-CR_zps7baca701.jpg

BAT WING E/C LIGHT CAHILL – Petersen/Variant – Daiichi 1130, #12 – #16…

UV2DKBLUESEDGESGRP_zps83646aa0.jpg

UV2 DARK BLUE SEDGE(s)…

PT/TB

Busy tying more spiders again last night. The Greenwells is a classic, wet or dry, as is Sturdy's Fancy which I have tied before as a dry-fly. I also thought a spider along the same lines as the Iron Blue Cul wouldn't hurt.

Greenwells Glory - Size 14 Partridge Classic Spider hook, Yellow No. 5 Pearsall's silk darkened with Bill Bailey's cobblers wax, gold wire, Starling primary quill, greenwells hen hackle

16499358852_301eb935b9_k.jpg

Sturdy's Fancy - Size 12 Partridge Classic Spider hook, Red Uni-floss, peacock herl, White Whiting Red-label hen hackle, Pearsall's purple silk

15877796534_aa6d95eaa1_k.jpg

Iron Blue Spider - Size 18 Partridge Classic Spider hook, Claret Langley's silk, Natural mole touch dubbed, Dark blue dun hen hackle

16499352782_824ae5b4fa_k.jpg

Iron Blue Spider by sculpin_crusader, on Flickr

I should be focused on early trout season, but just can't stop thinking big..attachicon.gif10957736_10152980066451422_6971857703638846204_o.jpg

That's a nice looking Streamer, James. Most people seem to be using UV resin to keep the head and eyes in place, these days. How are you putting the eyes on yours?

I like those last two, Piker. Well, I like them all, but I especially like the ... raffia backed? ... last two.

Hey easternsierraflies, like the streamers. I'm a Sierra fishermen too. I live near truckee. Anyways glad to see another local on the forum. Here's a few articulated streamers I tied with the spirit river articulated shanks, and those fish skull "living eyes" which really finish off the fly well with CCG

post-45335-0-97300100-1423674724_thumb.jpg

post-45335-0-72089200-1423674943_thumb.jpg

post-45335-0-78639100-1423674977_thumb.jpg

Yep, Walkers Polysickle and a palmered sickle. They have a body wrapped in plastic from a ziplok bag and when wet the colour beneath seems to really shine through. They certainly look better with the body shaped a little.

Nice spiders. The dubbing is fantastic and delicate. Wonders a little on the yellow ribbing is that an alternative to dubbing so sparsely as for the thread to be seen through the mole? Like it a lot.

Henrik