Fly Tying

Ok, so I'm going to fish my first fly tournament in a couple months (river based). I will need 2 rods (if not 3) rigged and ready to go the whole time, I need some opinions on how best to carry them. I've seen some guys tuck one into the front of their waders, others into their belt. I was considering these options but if I have multiple flies on one rod I'd worry about them getting in the way. I don't really want to pack them into cases or else I'll be wasting time re rigging, I suppose I could break the rods into 2 and strap them to my pack but that's about all I've come up with. Have any of you done this and how would you go about it?

Thanks,

Chris

This system only works with two piece rods. When not in use, the rods are broken down. I don't take the fly off, just hook the fly on the top eyelet of the butt section. bring the line around the reel and reel in until there's no slack in the line. This keeps everything together.

I made a harness out of an old tie-down strap.

I made a slip loop on both ends. Approximately centered was a quick release buckle and an adjuster.

Slip one end around the rod at the reel end of the broken down rod. The strap should be on the rod side of the reel, so that it is around both sections of the rod. Hang this over your shoulder so the strap keeps the reel at head height. Figure out where the other loop should go on the rod to keep the rod diagonally across your back. Slip the loop snug, clip the buckle shut and adjust the strap to keep everything in place.

I'd show pictures, but the harness is at home and I am not.

You don't want a rod sticking up behind you while you're casting. Any harness that secures a rod that way is for hiking to a spot, not for fishing that spot. You will inevitably wrap your back cast around any rod sticking up like that. If the rod ends are down and behind you, you just need to get used to protecting that side of your body, thus protecting the rod.

Sounds like a good system Mike, when you get a chance to take some I'd love to see pictures!

Looking forward to seeing this as well. I know they sell a system that lets you fold up a rigged rod (probably similar to this), but I wasn't willing to spend $50 at the time.

Take a long handle net, the handle doubles up as a wading staff. You can jam it into the bank or river bed to act as a stripping basket. Your spare rods can be attached to the handle, if broken down as Mike says, using Velcro straps.

Cheers,

C.

I usually carry two rods when I musky fish, I use a backpack for my flies and etc because the boxes are so large and I will just break the rod down into two pieces instead of 4 and sew in a compartment just for the rod so I can quickly switch rods and it not get tangled with the other items in the pack

Okay ... I've been home for a day. Christopher asked for the rod carrying strap pictures. Sorry, Chris ... I had forgotten.

I made this in a hotel room, with a used tie down strap from the facility. It is very easy to cut and melt the ends of the strap, to shape the "parts". With a candle and thin blade knife from Dollar Tree, you can "weld" the strap pieces together to create a strap like this one.

Each end has a sliding loop.

Closer look at the loop and slide.

One end on the rod at your waste. One right at the reel, which will be at your shoulder.

With the quick connector adjusted, front and back.

You could make a small box from thin plywood, say 35cm X 35cm, 20cm high, make little sections for the reel, you can fit 4 rods in this type of box, a solid handle inline with the rods, 4 rods fully set up & ready to go can be carried in this thing, the end where the rod will poke out, make a hole in the top for the rod to sit, also make a saw cut down ways for the flyline. You can hold rod in place with velcro? I hope you understand what i'm saying? You'll have a box-bag siting on the ground with rods ready to go that is eazy to carry!

I'm carrying two rods with me 90% of the time on the river (relatively small water), and I just carry it with my hands. Usually both rods in the same hand. Set the one down that you are not using on the bank somewhere. Don't forget it behind. Any contraptions that strap a rigged rod to your body would get in my way while fishing, landing fish, and walking around.