Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Onebad06vtx

Where to get foam for making poppers

Go to any toy dept. at Walmart or wherever and look for child building blocks made of high density foam . This is way to get good thickness and numerous colors ofr really cheap.

I went digging around and found foam rods in various diameters at Home Depot. It is listed as caulk backing or caulk backing rod. 3 to 5 bucks for 20 feet. Any of the big box building suppliers should have it.

Good luck. Show us what you come up with.

Kirk

I use sheet foam from the craft stores for a lot of my simple poppers. You can make a quick panfish popper with one circle punched out of sheet foam.

post-309-0-78452900-1425049308_thumb.jpg

or a heart shaped one.

post-309-0-24232300-1425049559_thumb.jpg

These two were made from clothes pin shaped foam I picked up in a $1 store

From the top part

post-309-0-79223000-1425049947_thumb.jpg

From the "legs" of the clothes pin

post-309-0-58368600-1425050630_thumb.jpg

I've also found bags of soft foam cylinders which are great for poppers like Bob's Bangers, but can also be sanded and shaped into regular poppers

I've gotten lazy in my old age. Mostly I just buy the soft foam popper bodies and shape them into what I'm looking for

I've got to second Utyer too. The hard foam floats are great. You can even find different shapes in lure supply catalogs that are used for walleye fishing where they use small hard foam near their bait between the sinker and hook to keep the bait suspended off the bottom. Can't think of the company off hand but there are a variety of sizes and shapes.

For ease of acquisition, the Comal floats are ideal. The list of materials that can be used to make poppers is pretty extensive.

Kirk

These are size #6 poppers made with Comal hard foam floats painted with acrylic and topcoated with 30 minute cure epoxy.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture2617-p

These are size #6 & #8 poppers made from a block of foam I made by gluing a number of 2mm sheets of foam together.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture1707-d

Kirk would you be able to tell me were you find that multi colored foam that you make these poppers out of . Thanks Banks

AWESOME POPPERS, the best I've seen!

http://www.riverroadcreations.com/GaryKrebPopperJigs.htm

Great way to make poppers and they sell the foam for the jigs as well. Really nice people at river road creations give them an email or call them. I get quite a bit of foam for my tying from them other than the craft foam from the ol' craft store.

I buy foam sandals at Hobby Lobby for .99 and drill them out. I usually drill out a hundred or so at a time of different sizes. I almost always use white and color them with markers.

post-20375-0-12856500-1428891843_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-52126600-1428891861_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-13431800-1428891879_thumb.jpg

I buy foam sandals at Hobby Lobby for .99 and drill them out. I usually drill out a hundred or so at a time of different sizes. I almost always use white and color them with markers.

Is that a small Core Bit you are using to drill these out or what kind of bit I should say ?

Is that a small Core Bit you are using to drill these out or what kind of bit I should say ?

They looked like shell casing, spent bullet cartridges.

They looked like shell casing, spent bullet cartridges.

Of course, didn't look that close LOL !