Fly Tying
Swamp Fly

Vintage reel for 4wt?

In another thread I posted about wanting to purchase a 4wt glass rod. The next thing I need is a reel. I would love to buy a vintage click pawl Martin, Phlueger, or any of their look-a-likes. Having never owned one of these reels, I have no idea what model numbers are appropriate. Again just like with the rod, as much as I'd like a nice old Hardy, economy is king here. I'm seeing a lot of reels priced at less than $20 that look like they are in more than serviceable condition and have the "right" aesthetic, but I'm at a loss as to which models would look (size wise) and feel right. Some help would be great. Thanks.

Swamp

I have an old Martin upstairs on a 7-1/2foot HDH glass rod. I'll look at the model number and get back to you. It is a small reel and would be at home on a 4 wt, the HDH is roughly a 5 weight.

Pflueger 1492 1/2 or 1494. 1492 1/2's are a #3-4 and 1494's are a #4-5. Make sure you get on that says "Made in USA" the China made ones are not as good. I have seen both sizes on eBay.

Thanks, guys.

I have a Martin 61 on the way. I will probably pick of a few Pfluegers, Martins,etc. just to play with and have for the future.

Any of the Martin "Tuna Cans" (60, 61, 62, and 63) would work fine on a 4 wt. Martins were my 'go to' reels back in the day...for various reasons I had put the fly rod down for several years and am now getting back into it- imagine my surprise (more like horror) to find they're out of business; E-Bay, however, is a wonderful thing.

SupGen, yes it is a shame that we have come to a point where if it doesn't "go a million miles an hour" or have network connectivity then the product gets dropped or the company goes under. Don't get me wrong, microprocessor controlled CF drags and rods that weigh half an ounce have their place and I own fast rods that have reels designed to stop Buicks on them, but I don't need or want them for catching bream. There are some very nice click pawl reels being made but at $200-$300 and aerospace tolerances, simple or easy is not what comes to mind. You are right about Ebay and like I said earlier I think I'm going to have to get a "life time" supply over the next few years before things dry up.

Thanks ibookje. I might just have to pick something up from their line sometime.

Pflueger 1492 or 1492 and 1/2 on Ebay. Just be patient. If is says Shakespeare it is made in Japan. If it say nothing it is China. Afew years ago was in Roscoe and went in the corner place. The guy had a used Pflueger 1492 in what looked like stainless. I own a bunch of P's I fish. I wanted this reel. He wanted 300 bucks. I didn't want it that bad. I left my number. He called price now 100. I found out these neat looking stainless "like" reels were China, relatively new, no stamp country of origin and worth about 20 dollars.

Be patient. There are a lot of USA Pfluegers on Ebay and don't over pay.

Yeah, I don't "need", just want. I'm not in hurry. Sales people love it when you need. Visit a car dealer when your only car just died and the price goes up....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pflueger-Medalist-1492-Fly-Fishing-Reel-/131465426546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9bf33672

Everyone is staying away from this one because the paint is gone. They are aluminium so unless you were going to fish in the salt, it just looks different. They are from 10 to 99 today. If you decide on one of these, 35 is a fair price to pay for one in nice shape.

I am not selling the reel, nor do I know who it is. The reel is in the late 1950's era because of the lack of the round line guide but it still has sculptured (bowling pin) posts and it is stamped, "made in Akron O".

I jumped on the band wagon about a Pflueger 1492. I have one with and extra spool. I fish it on my Orvis Flea with a three weight line. I fish a Pflueger 1494 on a four weight bamboo.

Used to be, a 1492 was RH retrieve only. I don't know if that's still true. It's something to consider.

I reel RH, and 1494s used to come factory set for RH. Almost all older reels are set up that way. You can change over a 1494 and larger, but not a 1492.

There are several 'vintage' reels that would work well for you and last a life time with minimal care. Martin tuna cans 61, 62, 63, South Bend 1122, Heddon 240 I think was the model#. My choice would be the Pfleuger Medalist 1494. Some of the real old Medalists are not r/l hand from the factory and don't be afraid of the China model Medalists. I have a couple of them and they are IMO almost as good as the older U.S. versions and will last your life time and then some with moderate care. The China versions are much better than the old Japan versions. I am not sure that the Japan versions even had Medalist on the small spool cover. these are all blue collar reels. There are also many white collar reels that will work also.

RH retrieve is not and issue. I'm right hand dominant. All of my reels are set up for RH, even my spinning reels. Thanks for letting me know though, that could be a deal buster for some.