Fly Tying
eric_sthjrsy

Any advice about NW georgia

Just got stationed in souther Alabama and looking to take a vacation to do some trout river fishing.... Looks like nw Georgia might be the closest spot. Anybody know of any rivers/ towns in the southern portion of the Appalachians to fly fish in late May? Thanks in advance

Eric,

Look at the web site, takemefishing. You can look up your State and find all the listed fishing areas. I use it when I travel because I rarely get any one on here willing to give up their spots ...

If you ever head up to the Chicago area, rich mc will help you ... but other than that ...

And....if you don't mind paying a fair sum of $$$ a place called Brigadoon. Biggest trout outside of Alaska. All catch and release. Also- why not venture up into the Smokies? NC is very good. I haven't done the stretch right out of Atlanta but I am told you can catch a bunch if you don't mind being near a big city. I can't take that traffic anymore.

Google up Capt Andy Bracket who guides for big trout in that part of Georgia. He was a guide in the Keys before moving up there a few years back. The way he describes their fishery it's pretty special.....

Google up Capt Andy Bracket who guides for big trout in that part of Georgia. He was a guide in the Keys before moving up there a few years back. The way he describes their fishery it's pretty special.....

All the places mentioned so far are in NE GA. I've never fished NW GA, but there is some good fishing there. Google locations and you can find more information.

I grew up fishing the upper Chattahooche and Soquee rivers and had lots of fun, but that was before stocking programs and trout were rare. A lot of it now is private. The biggest trout I've ever caught was on the Soquee, a 28" rainbow.

Unicoi Outfitters with Jimmy Harris is on the Hooch around Helen, below Smith's Creek, which is pretty good fishing and won't cost you to fish there. I imagine it gets pounded in the summer. Farther East and North is the Chatooga and the Toccoa rivers. The Chatooga has some good water but isn't canoe-friendly for amateurs, has some spectacular rapids.

Smiths Creek has seen a bit of a downturn the last few years, enforcement of regulations seems to have been abdicated resulting in an increasing number of people not respecting said regulations.

Smiths Creek has seen a bit of a downturn the last few years, enforcement of regulations seems to have been abdicated resulting in an increasing number of people not respecting said regulations.

This seems to be the consensus on the Georgia forum too

Thanks for all the comments n advice.... To to recent changes in family schedule we chose Cosby tn to rent a cabin. Close to gatlinburg... But right next to the smokey man national Forrest. Will try to hit blue ridge up on the way back down to alabama