Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Morrowboarder

Free swinging jig heads

I have a whole tray full of something similar, but they are heavy enough to be thrown on conventional gear. The free moving hook helps prevent thrown lures ... keeps the fish buttoned on.

If those are like mine, they'll be a too heavy for fly fishing.

1/16 oz is UL spinning stuff and even lighter. 1/32 oz is getting to the light side of UL spinning. There are much better ways to throw 1/8 and heavier lures than the fly rod. To each his own I guess.

I see all kinds of commercial flies at scheels that are heavier than 1/8. My thought process has always been; if I can get the fly there gracefully and not present with a dog running on leash effect, all is good. I'm not throwing huge heavy flies on light setups either, I use a 10 wt Orvis Power Matrix at this lake because the timber is insane and I spent a summer losing big fish on my 6wt because of snags. Just last week I went fishing after work at the lake and forgot my 10wt and on two occasions I had to whip my fly out of the water because I saw a 40+ inch Muskie chasing my streamer.