Fly Tying
FlaFly

Reel question: Pflueger Medalist

Sorry Mike but most of us are not collectors but users. As far as printing a reel, I am sure it is more than possible but few of us have access to a such a printer. Now if I was a rich as you........

Rich ... ME?!?! Ha ha ha ha ... Yeah. That's why I tie most of my flies with flip flops and duster fibers.

Dollar Tree is my go to store. Walmart is where I go when a have a little extra money.

My main point was that I can buy a really good reel for less than 40 bucks ... why would I go looking for a decades old reel that is no better, unless you're a collector?

But then, I never bring a fish in "on the reel", so I guess that's another reason I am not into reels so much. It's nothing but a line storage system for me.

I'm like Mike in that I've never reeled in a fish on a flyrod. I'm not like Mike in that I do like to collect the things that mean something to me. I like to hang meaningful photos and pictures on my walls. I like to keep some piece of china that was a favorite of my mother. I like to decorate with meaningful things, including old reels and lures.

I also, when I find something that I really love and don't want to ever have to do without, tend to buy a bunch of them, because I know some day they'll be discontinued (like the Medalist). I only have two reels right now, and if I can find more, whether new or used, I want to get them if the price is right. I don't plan to spend big bucks buying an old rare one. That's why my original post.... if the ones that come on the combo rigs are OK (since like Mike I only use them as a line storage device), I'd settle for them since new Medalists won't be available any more, except for the few that are part of those combos still sitting in the stores.

collections = unwanted clutter :)

cant take it with you

if its what cocks your pistol then go for it

1. it's not unwanted

2. you can't take anything with you

Hey Mike....I absolutely do agree with you for most of my fishing as well. I also have several cheap reels which include my Medalists. I have never paid $30 for a Medalist, new or used. Most have been well less than that. I just like the way the Medalist handles and from experience I know that the Medalist is very reliable, even when abused by their owners. They are just like the old timex watch. The only thing that I always missed on the old Medalist was the fact that there was no exposed spool rim for drag control. The Chinese fixed that problem but they are quite heavy though I have two of them and they work OK on my old glass 8' rods. I do have one reel that I paid big bucks for and it is for my 9wt salt rod. If I ever need a great drag I do have it available.

I also, when I find something that I really love and don't want to ever have to do without, tend to buy a bunch of them, because I know some day they'll be discontinued (like the Medalist).

Oops, I have a confession. There is a reel that I buy when I find one on sale. I've got 4 automatic reels ... three of which are on my rods. I am just working out which one I want to put the forth on on.

Since I only use them for line storage, automatics retrieve the line quickly. I have 6 rods in my boat when I am fishing. When I want to switch to a different fly, I just pick up a different rod. Automatic reels make this much easier to do.

Only when I get into the very light weight rods, do I use hand crank reels. Now, if I could find a LIGHT WEIGHT automatic reel ... that might make me spend some money.

I fished for salmon in upstate NY quite a lot when I lived there. I have a Pflueger 1498 (I bought in the 70's made USA). I started fishing for Striper and Blues on Long Island, Connecticut and Rhode Island. I bought a second spool (Shakespere China/Japan). I washed both in freshwater after saltwater fishing. The USA Pflueger is still in great shape. I still fish it for freshwater Stripers in the south. The second spool is rather pitted.

It is funny on Ebay to see the AK model being sold as vintage and sometimes that they are listed as the "AK Best" model.

I agree with Ditz2, I like Medalist. I have several that look very used. Probably because I bought them new in the 1960's and 70's and had fished them a lot since.