Fly Tying

When i'm bored, I tie the most colourful flies i've ever seen, chartreuse, red, yellow, pink, lime green, pull out all the stops. No holding back, even try merging styles. But if you fish for trout, this is pretty much useless, as they are quite finicky, on the other hand if your looking for pike and bass, flashy, colourful flies are great.

Do not turn pro.

I knew a tyer who had a crash order for a hundred dozen mini midges to get out over a long weekend. He babbled about it long after he quit the business shortly thereafter.

Rocco

I'm bored tying flies.

Now that the joking is over ... what do you mean?

Did you take up tying flies for fishing, or for the artwork of tying flies? If you're tying for the artwork, then go with realistics. That's going to require a higher involvement of skills, and should raise the interest level.

What's boring you?

The patterns you're good at? Then any pattern you've ever tried before should suffice.

The speed of tying vs. say, a video game? Then you might be S.O. L.

I don't tie for entertainment. I tie for fishing. I enjoy tying flies I am going to fish with and I don't spend all day tying flies, so boredom is never a problem with me.

It's hard to recommend something "new" when we don't know what you consider "boring".

As I stated, realistic flies should provide a challenge, unless that's what you already tie.

Are you looking for more complicated flies that present a challenge?

Maybe finding some size 32 hooks and tying under a magnifying glass?

It can bore me sometimes to tie more than three of one pattern. But for what ever reason Royal Wulff's don't bore me. Trying a new pattern for when I know fish are in a river and not taking doesn't bore me. But tying more than three of the pattern might if I don't need more than one to try out LOL ! I tie in threes when preparing to go fishing and tying something new, I don't want to get to the water and lose the first fly and have no backup, been there done that. Restocking my cases I tie in half dozens at a time rotaing patterns until my quota is met. . I can't even imagine tying 100 flies of one pattern at a time, never mind 100 dozen .

Check out the pattern database on this site. Lots of interesting and innovative stuff there. There are pattern books with literally thousands of patterns in them. Google "innovative fly patterns". Or just "fly patterns".

If you want a real challenge, check out Pat Cohen's work on rusuperfly.com.

I have a ton of fun tying big and nasty stuff for pike and muskies. Even if you don't fish the toothy ones, it just feels like an accomplishment cranking out beefy 9-12 inch flies. The Flashtail Whistler is a pretty easy and fun tie and attracts pike like a magnet.