Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jazzman53

Hi from Savannah, GA

Hi All,

New guy here from Savannah, GA. I've been tying hair bugs and maribou minnow imitations and catching largemouth and bream for quite a few years here in GA. I mostly river fish the Savannah, Ogeechee and Altamaha rivers.

Looking forward to chatting with you all,

Charlie

Thanks Ed,

Actually, I had sold my bass boat almost 10 years ago to buy a house and hadn't fished at all until 3 weeks ago when I bought another boat, dragged my old fly tying vise out of the closet and started tying flies again. It's like riding a bike though, you don't forget. My eyesight isn't so good these days but I managed to tie up a few bass flies (below) and I'm looking forward to using them over the labor day weekend. Water temps are still pretty warm here in Savannah so not sure the bass will be biting on top water but gonna find out.

Charlie

flies.jpg

Welcome to the site, Jazz.

Deltona, FL here ... and fish are still biting in my area.

Nice flies ... good luck this weekend.

Nice flies...that one looks like a shiner. I bet that killed you to sell your boat. Sounds like it's good to be back in the saddle. Good for you. Ed

Charlie, welcome! I've recently relocated to the Santee Cooper lakes area of SC from MD, so not too far from your area. I haven't as yet had the opportunity to do any fishing, but am looking forward to the fall action.

Great looking bugs & streamers you've tied, and yes it's like riding a bike.

Will be interested in hearing about the fishing over in your area!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Fishing is excellent in the rivers near Savannah. I've been catching a lot of big redbreast and bluegill sunfish and a few bass. I prefer the Ogeechee to the Savannah river, as it's black water and less muddy. The top water bass action (buggin' with fly rod) should pick up once the water temps cool a bit (still 82 degrees as of yesterday). The rivers here are affected by tides for at least 20 miles upstream of the coast-- they actually flow backwards when the tide is coming in. I find the fishing is best when the tide is falling.

If you're ever in Savannah give a yell and I'll take you fishing.

Charlie