Fly Tying
fbhenry

Whip Finisher

Hi all,

I recently bought a Dr. Slick Matarellli-style whip finishing tool to replace the bargain Thompson-style one I've always used. I have no trouble whip finishing with either style tool, and can do it by hand pretty well--but I have big fingers and sometimes the ease of a tool is what works best for me. The problem is that the Dr. Slick broke after just a few flies: the top sphere one pinches to keep the tool immobile while setting up the "triangle" came loose and spins now too.

Aside from the genuine Matarelli (which I believe is rare bird now), is there a brand of Matarelli-style tool that might be more solid than what I just experienced with the Dr. Slick one? Not trying to critique Dr. Slick here, since it seems like a lot of positive reviews accrue to the brand. Just disappointed in this particular item and looking for a better option. Maybe I am better just going for a better Thompson style like the Stonfo. Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated!

cheers,

Fred

Dr Slick's warranty should cover you. Either exchange it with the original seller, or return to Dr Slick. http://www.drslick.com/warranty

I don't personally hold the ball to inhibit rotation. I may use the pad of my index finger and my thumb against the wire immediately above the ball at times, but not against the ball.

The Stonfo is a spring type finisher that uses two hooks, so it will function similarly to the Matarelli style tool. The Thompson style has an "s" curve at the end that rides against the hook shank during operation.

I didn't know either bead was designed for anything, other than to keep the "handle" from sliding up against the wire. I definitely didn't think it was designed to hold the wire and keep it from spinning.

Like Bugsy, I hold the wire directly with my finger until I have the "figure 4" arranged.

My Matarelli is a cheapie from a kit, been working for decades.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Maybe I misunderstood the design. Basically I have to grab the wire above the top ball when catching the thread on the hook or the tool has a tendency to spin. I was operating on the assumption that it worked on the principle illustrated in an instructional video by IntheRiffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcaUar-ers4

(at 0:31-2)

The tool did work this way at first, then that ball started slipping/spinning. So when setting up the triangle, the tool spins unless I grab the upper wire.

If that ball is really supposed to be fixed, then I will fill out the warranty form.

cheers,

Fred

Fred,

It looks to me like the video shows he needs to extend his grip beyond the ball to the wire to keep it from spinning too.

I have an all silver/stainless matarelli-style whip finisher, i think it's a dr slick but cannot be sure. it has the half hitch tool on the end of the handle. i know it's not a true matarelli. the top ball spins on mine too, i believe always has from day one (the bottom ball is fixed). it has not prevented me from whip finishing.

if i understand what you wrote, then i do not think "the top sphere one pinches to keep the tool immobile" is true. but i could be wrong. dr slick's web site has an 800 phone number. why don't you give them a call and ask, and then let us know what they say.

eric

fresno, ca.

Dr Slick's warranty should cover you. Either exchange it with the original seller, or return to Dr Slick. http://www.drslick.com/warranty

On another forum a member remarked that he dropped his scissors on a hard floor and broke one of the tips. Sent them back to Dr Slick and they replaced the scissors for free.

On all the Matarelli style tools I have owned all the top balls rotated. As was mentioned, the grip over the ball is just a reference point for your fingers to hold the wire. If you don't want the ball to rotate I have a suggestion-ZAP-A-GAP.

I have an original matarelli as well and the ball spins. I still have the paper envolope it came in, it says Matarelli Stainless Steel Whip Finisher on the package fwiw.. Point of interest is all.

I appreciate the design confirmation from those fortunate to have an original Matarelli. Thanks!

Based on all this, it seems it probably isn't really broken. So I'll work with it! I did order a Hareline version though

just to see how their's is made.

cheers,

Fred

Hi fbhenry,

Here's a pic of the instruction sheet that came with the Matarelli . It may help.

Regards,

Mark

10e9845a-b73f-4bea-ad31-8e8ada81bcf0_zps

Thanks for those instructions, Mark. Amazingly, they are more explanatory and useful than most of the youtube videos I was consulting.

cheers,

Fred

Thanks Silver! Especially for the reminder to wrap toward the hook eye. It makes total sense once one understands how the knot works.

cheers,

Fred

On the Hareline Dubbin whip finisher, just for comparison' sake, both the upper and lower ball are fixed.