Fly Tying
Li'lDave

October Flies from the Bench

Another big musky fly. This one is as long as my forearm. 5 piece articulated, with 2 6/0 hooks. All bucktail and Blane Chocklett's body tubing to help flair the bucktail and reduce weight.

kzB2XZy.jpgxOMiRKV.jpgeRB9Pzy.jpg

Nice fly switch!! Where did you buy your saddle feathers? Have thought about buying some for my pike flies but a full saddle doesn't come cheap . . .

Several style tied on jig heads, woven bodies with larva lace:

Those would be nice to have in the box during ice fishing season.

Flytire, love that damsel. Can see that working great on small fry pattern too. I'm going to have to pay closer attention in the bead shops.

Nice fly switch!! Where did you buy your saddle feathers? Have thought about buying some for my pike flies but a full saddle doesn't come cheap . . .

Thank you! I buy natural grizzly saddle, cut them in half, and dye them myself. It's much cheaper that way, and I can get whatever colors I want.

Looks really nice, but does it feel like a wet cat to cast?

The 11 weight handles them with ease. The body tubing makes them look big, but weigh a lot less than most musky flies of the same size.

stump%20lake%20damsel%201_zpsfcwuv3tq.jp

stump%20lake%20damsel%202_zps0jyy6gzw.jp

example of a fringe bead. its nothing more than an offset hole bead

fringe%20bead_zpskbg0vqqm.jpg

thread 2 fringe beads onto a short length of wire and twist until tight. i added a drop uv resin to help spread them apart. tie them onto the hook and make some figure eight wraps between the beads.

damsel%20eyes_zps4xxelsco.jpg

hook: your favorite

thread: olive

eyes: see above

tail: marabou

body: swannundaze or d-rib

wing case: olive magic foil, scud back etc

thorax: slf damsel olive dubbing

if youre lazy and dont want to twist up the eyes just use some peanut beads instead

peanut%20beads_zpsq4m71kgg.jpg

happy tying

Nice Damsel nymph ..

Flytire, thank you for the info on those fringe beads. I LOVE the green ones you used on your fly. I will be looking for some of those soon.

Switch, do you sell your flies? I would like to get some hackle, but I don't need a whole skin's worth. I'll just buy one of your flies, and that'll probably do me for several months.

That is a BIG freakin' fly!!!

Flytire, thank you for the info on those fringe beads. I LOVE the green ones you used on your fly. I will be looking for some of those soon.

Switch, do you sell your flies? I would like to get some hackle, but I don't need a whole skin's worth. I'll just buy one of your flies, and that'll probably do me for several months.

That is a BIG freakin' fly!!!

Haha, Mike believe me, you don't want to know my price. Put it this way, it would be cheaper to buy the saddle hackle and throw away what you don't use!

Rust CDC Callibaetis. Added a bit of ribbed flash in the abdomen.

11029639_10153039387242003_8010420462216

12195110_10153039387212003_4525593897979

Kimo

Kimo, your work never ceases to impress me, do you ever do any step by step or videos on how to tie some of your patterns?

Man, Kimo, I love this series you have done, beautiful and spectacular.

You live in Wisconsin, don't you? The reason I am asking is I would love to get you to some of our big tying shows, the Sowbug, http://www.northarkansasflyfisher.org/sowbug-roundup.html, in Mountain Home, Arkansas in April, or down here in Texas between Dallas and Austin. We've talked before online, but I've never known exactly where you are. We have a few people come down from Michigan occasionally, Illinois, new Hampshire, and Vermont. I would really love to watch you tie.

Ray

Man, Kimo, I love this series you have done, beautiful and spectacular.

You live in Wisconsin, don't you? The reason I am asking is I would love to get you to some of our big tying shows, the Sowbug, http://www.northarkansasflyfisher.org/sowbug-roundup.html, in Mountain Home, Arkansas in April, or down here in Texas between Dallas and Austin. We've talked before online, but I've never known exactly where you are. We have a few people come down from Michigan occasionally, Illinois, new Hampshire, and Vermont. I would really love to watch you tie.

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I'm in Aurora, Colorado. I will be tying at the Fly Fishing Show in Denver in January.

I am also on oxygen, so traveling is bit of a hassle.

It doesn't stop my fishing though. I just hang my tank on the back of my float tube.

Kimo