Fly Tying
Pujic

Realistic Hopper

Very nice looking hopper Nick. Looks like a winner for the upper Credit wink.gif

Ken cool.gif

pujic!

That is an awesome hopper.

Is the whole fly made by wrappng thread? Body and legs?

BFR

Thanks guys.

BFR,

Yes the entire fly is nothing but white thread and mono, including all of the legs. I'm working on a step by step article on how to do this. Should be ready by early next week I hope headbang.gif

Nick

Man I cannot wait for that step by step pujic, I know I've only got a little over a month experience tying but as soon as I see how you do that I'm swinging for the fences headbang.gif

Nick, your hopper looks absolutely incredibly alive. The shape and proportions look so real; did you have a natural specimen in front of you to copy from? I’m assuming the fly sinks and would be deadly fished is swift water. Now that I think about it, drifted through a deep pool would sure be fun, hold on tight!

Graham

Unbeleiveable, great work, man I gotta learn tie this hopper, I bet it would make a nice black cricket pattern.

I have been tying for for 30 years and feel like I have only been at it for 6 months.

I cannot believe the advances in flytying over the last several years.

I can remember 25 years ago when someone developed the cork inch worm and painted it chartruse. We were astounded. Now the green weenie is a beginner fly.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

(No comment from you Skunked, or I'l hit you with my walker)

Conehead

Excellent use of basic materials and lots of fancy technique. I like when someone does something neat with just thread on the hook. That way I don't have to buy some exotic material to do the same, only practice my skills until I can get it down right. Again, nice tie. And here's a good link to David Martin's stuff, thanks to Fred Hannie for the link. http://realisticfly.blogspot.com/

I had the opportunity to spend some time with Will and Nick on the Erie tribs for steelhead several years ago. I led to an addiction for chrome. Nick is a fantastic tier! The young man has mad skills! This would make a killer cricket as well.