Fly Tying
sammothner

Best bobbin?

My current bobbin just gave out after a few years of tying. What do you guys think is the best bobbin out there, especially with the holidays just around the corner?

i dont think there is one "best"

tiemco ceramic bobbin holder - heavy duty

ive used tiemco bobbin holders for 25+ years with never a problem

tiemco-ceramic-bobbin-heavy-duty.jpg

C&F designs bobbin costs no more then one Tiemco & a couple of El cheapos, El cheapo bobbins will just rape your nerves & the problem with my Tiemco bobbin is you have to keep rubbing your nose between the brass ends to stop the sqeeking & get the thread reel to run smooth!

No more than? Maybe in your country

Ill gladly pay $28 for a tiemco bobbin holder versus $45 for a c&f bobbin holder

Do the math

I've always favored the S&M bobbin, as used and recommended by A.K. Best in his book "Production Fly Tying".

There's the original...

post-36073-0-96418200-1448805084_thumb.jpg

as well as the version sold by Wasatch Tools

post-36073-0-39156100-1448805209_thumb.jpg

I like them because they are nice and compact; when you hold them, the thread spool nestles in the palm of your hand, so you can easily apply extra "drag" to the thread spool if need be. It is also a lot easier to adjust the tension on the thread spool than on the Matarelli-type bobbins with the wire arms--no tools required, just squeeze.

I might be the odd man out here but I use the cheap bobbin that I pick up for around $5 and have no problems at all, I have big hands so the spool is in my palm, maybe that's why they work for me. The only problem I ever have thread related is when I catch the hook point with the thread and fray it. I should also note I am a saltwater tier and use 210 denier again not sure if that makes a difference. To me I'd rather have 9 $5 bobbins than 1 $45 one. What would be the difference in b obbins?

There will be people who prefer each quality bobbin holder and for each of them that will be the best. What will be best for you is a different matter. It will depend on what you are tying and how you are tying. Bobbin holders are a relatively modern development in fly tying. Much newer than the vice for example.

Most of my tying is done with Tiemco. They are a great "standard" bobbin, no bells or whistles but a superb example of a quality tool. I still use the first one I bought in 1992, and the only problem is the rubber sleeve wore out years ago. Some years ago Tiemco did a "pro bobbin" which came with 3 interchangeable tubes. That was as good but someone "relieved" me of it at a show, so it never got used for long enough to offer more of an opinion. I haven't seen them on sale for some years.

Along side those I have a Thompson one with double ceramic inserts in the tube (both ends). That is another great standard bobbin and may be a good solution in your situation. It is inexpensive, and mine has been going for over 10 years.

Rite Bobbins: Here we start with the bells and whistles. They have a mechanical tensioning system which works well. I did use them for a few years, but for my tying they have one fatal flaw. They are not balanced. I spin my bobbin holder a lot to adjust the twist in my tying thread. I can't get the high speed spin I can with a more standard design bobbin holder. That slows me down quite a bit. It may not bother you, but is important to me, (after all we are talking personal preference here).

C&F, This a bobbin I have only a passing acquaintance with. When it first appeared I had my doubts about it. The tension comes from the thread passing through a slit in some kind of foam at the base of the tube. I had my doubts how long this would last. However, I have not heard a single complaint about this. It is balanced so would spin. I have never found anyone who has one and doesn't like it. Beware of knock off copies!

Petitjean MP-TT Bobbin, Only Marc could build a dubbing spinner into a bobbin holder. I haven't got my hands on one yet, and am unsure if I will. You see I might like it. If I do that will be very expensive for me, as I would want a good number of them. It has a channel rather than a tube. It is the only bobbin holder that spins fast and has a tensioning mechanism built in. There has been a post on here by someone having a problem with one, and recently a friend said he had problems with the bar that holds the thread at the bottom of the tube sticking into his thumb. It is far more expensive than the C&F.

There are two makes of self retracting bobbins on the market, The Nor and the Ekitch. The Nor was developed for use with the Nor-Vise and is essential to get the best out of that tying system. From reports I have heard it is a top quality bobbin. It does require you to re spool your thread onto the spools supplied.

The Ekitch has it's devotees. I can see why. It is a superbly engineered piece of equipment. It does what it says on the can. However, when I used one it felt uncomfortable in my hand and was not balanced for spinning. The reason for the discomfort is the bullet where you grip it is at 90 degrees to a standard bobbin so the spool lies in your hand at 90 degrees to "normal". This may not bother you, it does me. I was told that to balance the bobbin I should place a finger along side the tube. This does cure the out of balance problem but slows the spin. After every 12 inches of thread you have to pull the spool off the spigot. to reset the rewind mechanism. Also when you cut your thread you have to hold the spool, then release the tension. The Ekitch does not have enough travel to use on the Nor-Vise system with its standard configuration. If you like it then fine. I don't see any advantage to me to justify the huge cost of the Ekitch. It saves me the maybe 1/2 second it takes me to wind the thread in ready for the next fly, then it uses it by making me pull the spool off the spigot to reset it.

There are many other bobbins on the market, S&M is one I am not familiar with. There are a few pointers in choosing a bobbin, Ceramic doesn't grove and last longer than metal tubes. There are metal tubed bobbins that don't grove but they are generally more expensive than ceramic. The larger your fly, the larger bobbin holder you want.

There is also the option of tying without a bobbin. If you see an old vice with a screw in the clamp with two fibre or rubber washers on it this was designed for tying without a bobbin. A length of thread was cut for tying, and when you needed to let go of it during tying, it was pulled in between the washers.

I hope that goes some way to helping you decide. Just asking which is best will get you a list of peoples preferences but not really help you choose.

Cheers,

C.

Oops

I agree with the logic 100% but ive never had one go bad on me, I guess my question is what would make one bobbin better than another other than adjustable tension? Which for me I just close my hand a little for more tension. What should myself and the op look for in a "good" bobbin thank you