Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

I like the lanyard, Retro. Shorter length should work well for a seated position.

Flytire ... I posted the question on another thread, "Has anyone been "saved" by the break away feature?"

No one replied that they ever "used" the break away. Yes, it's a "better to have and not need" feature, but I don't use them on my lanyards.

Broach pin for a friend, work in progress, still need to tweek the topping and add horns. Poul Jorgenson's Sir Conrad. Boy am i rusty at the Classics

wrx9c7.jpg

Yer a talent !

I have to ask............how is this thing going to attach as a brooch? I mean, how will it attach to a garment? I guess you could take that little ball off the point and simply skewer it on, but, that could get bad......in many ways.

Another question.........where do you get all those multi-colored feathers? The blue, red/orange, black/white, etc.?

Roland, if you knew the handicap that Bruce is tying under there you would be doubly impressed. That isn't a hook it is a salmon fly brooch if you looked at it from the top you would see the brooch pin pointing directly away from the camera position about where the butt is, and the clasp close to the eye. This is one before it is tied,

As for the stripes of colour they are made from dyed feathers, you need a matched pair of feathers for each colour. Originally swan feathers were used, but these days turkey is more common. You take a strip out of each feather and "marry" them together to form the wing, using the hooks along each fibre that hold the feather together. Of course you need matching feathers to be able to do this. Then it gets even harder. Strips of various mottled feathers like: brown turkey, florican bustard, or peacock wing secondary, are also married into the wing. Some patterns get even harder still calling for the marrying of duck flank feathers for the veiling, That is the black and white feather that lies along side the wing, which is mandarin duck in Bruce's, but look again, you will see that there is a strip of another duck flank feather married to the bottom of it. I'm not certain but I think that is mallard.

Classic salmon flies are the most exacting flies to tie, tying them well requires the greatest patience and huge skill. They can take 20 or 30 hours of work each. Also some of the materials are rather expensive. Last time I saw a full skin from an Indian Crow, with all the appropriate paperwork, it was $5000. That was over 15 years ago.

That might give you an idea why we are all so impressed with Bruce's fly.

Cheers,

C.

Hi silkdh they are just heavy duty that's all ... You can buy them at any tackle store here .... They are called black magic

Good luck retro... as it happened I've tied a couple for Saturday.... here's hoping for blue skies and clean flats.

. Thanks bud tight lines and screaming reels.

Wow, I had no idea. It looked so much like the others that were presented earlier that I thought it was an actual fly. My hat is definitely off to him for some incredible work. I don't think I have enough years left to get that good and I damn sure don't have $5K for a crow!! Thanks for the info!!

I like the lanyard, Retro. Shorter length should work well for a seated position.

Flytire ... I posted the question on another thread, "Has anyone been "saved" by the break away feature?"

No one replied that they ever "used" the break away. Yes, it's a "better to have and not need" feature, but I don't use them on my lanyards.

Thanks mike .... I didn't want it hanging down too low while seated in the yak as it would surely get entangled in all the other gear that I am using lol

Also I'm more concerned about venomous snakes , dropbears and large prehistoric toothy creatures than having a quick release lanyard lol

I probably will however attach a large hunting knife to the lanyard so in the event of one of these dangers occurring I will have the right tool to deal with it .

I will post pictures later of the updated version of said lanyard.

Thanks mike .... I didn't want it hanging down too low while seated in the yak as it would surely get entangled in all the other gear that I am using lol

Also I'm more concerned about venomous snakes , dropbears and large prehistoric toothy creatures than having a quick release lanyard lol

I probably will however attach a large hunting knife to the lanyard so in the event of one of these dangers occurring I will have the right tool to deal with it .

I will post pictures later of the updated version of said lanyard.

Post a pic of your yak while you are at it........I for one, would like to see it. I have an Ocean Prowler 13'4" that I am setting up for fishing.......looking forward to spring and some warmer water so I can get after it!!

post-37956-0-07178500-1451790962_thumb.jpeg

This lanyard has an adjustable cord for desired length

Included is the razor sharp knife in sheath ( for my own safety) for those crocs snakes and nasty drop bears

This lanyard will come apart under strain at the swivels as my weight is 98.5 kilos and they are only rated at 20kgs.

I have also included an extra swivel for a small flybox if needed.