Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

Deerhairdan, your flies are beautiful!

Cream, that thing is incredible! Did you counter weight it to get the zig zag action?

Cream, we would all love a recipe if you feel like sharing!

..... uhm..... deer hair.....

Cream, we would all love a recipe if you feel like sharing!

..... uhm..... deer hair.....

Lol well didnt think of that one!

There has been questions of whats going on under the hair. Counter weight of some type? Rattle? Or is it straight deer hair cut to shape? That has a lot of action to be straight hair, is the hook enough tail weight?

It would just suck to stack all that hair and find out he's got three brass beads on the rear of the shank!

TheCream - I'm impressed with the spook. Did you apply any liquid fusion or LCA to the bottom or any parts of the fly to keep it buoyant and from getting water logged?

thanks for sharing

The belly is coated in Liquid Fusion.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

Probably ... but not for your tying skills or subjects.

I've posted my admiration of your skills enough, that you know I like the deer hair work you do Cream. However, I do wonder at tying lure copies.

I imagine the deer hair version weighs close to the same weight as the plastic one, especially if you use the same hook on the back instead of the trebles. So, why not just tie on a Zara Spook?

Found a pattern online called Helter Skelter Pike Fly Jig. Tried scaling it down to a size i like for Trout.

My try

20151223_174003_zpsqk53loga.jpg

I like that pattern. I like the rattles pouch. Might have to give that a try.

If you look close enough, we copy a lot from the conventional world. Flies that copy jig and pigs, flies that copy spoons, flies that copy chugging top waters, bass worm flies, etc. In my mind, the deer hair spook is just another of those examples. We don't have to reinvent the wheel, it's already been done. We just need a version that can be cast via fly rod. And I used fly tying materials through and through. No plastic lips, no big rattles, just deer hair and some well placed ballast in the form of tungsten beads.

Ive thrown enough Zahra spooks to know without that weight in the back they dont have that amazing action, to duplicate that with a fly is pretty awesome.

Mike, the thing about copying plugs is we can throw them a lot smaller than with conventional equipment and a lot lighter so they land softer, not to mention I really feel you'll get a lot less spit outs than when a fish feels a bunch of hard plastic on the take.

Cream, I will be cussing you all week until if figure out that Spook pattern. Not waiting for spring, that would be killer down in FL right now.

Here are a few crazy minnow patterns from my bench:

The first is something I created by combining the body braid (craft store,) with a buck tail collar like a Deceiver, I think I will call it a Transceiver.

post-12074-0-53786900-1450979472_thumb.jpg

Then just a couple of macrame minnow patterns. The blue eyed one I show dry and wet, to show how the profile slims down.

post-12074-0-23848300-1450979580_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-96438800-1450979590_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-98847100-1450979621_thumb.jpg

December started with finishing up a couple rows of hare's ears in size 16 and 20.

PC241175_zps5c6ehrsw.jpg

Then transitioned to some flash back pheasant tails also in size 16 and 20.

PC241177_zpsgxrepmf9.jpg

And currently finds me working on copper johns in size 14.

eb61d833-7a97-4bac-a09c-4503ed9cf536_zps

Merry Christmas!!