Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2016

Thanks to all of you for participating in this swap. All flies are at the Post Office effective 1400 CST today. I have tracking numbers for all of the flies. If you want your number, send me a PM. The quality of the flies was artistic and the thinking behind these flies was outstanding. I appreciate you joining me on this journey of developing a Musky tying and support group. You all responded well to my requests for minimum sizes:

1. it is better to play fish on a hook that will actually hold a fish that size, and

2. you make a substantial investment in the time tying and expense of materials. This way you get a return on your investment.

I feel that all of the flies are fishable and I am going to also use some of them chasing 5 pond smallies in Ontario this summer. I hope we can give each other feedback about what we liked and what we did not like about this swap, so we can continue to have this experience. When you catch fish on these flies, please post pictures. It is very reinforcing for us as tyers to see that others are using our flies and catching fish on them.

The mailing process was quite smooth, as people have figured out the return process. I would expect that many of you might do what I did today after I mailed them. I went to a fishing shop and bought another fly box. All 12 flies take up some serious space. All the tyers would like some feedback on the action of their specific flies. We have about three months until we can put them in the water. That will give me some time to hit the gym. I am really curious about the action of Crackleback's fly with the rattle in the head. Mike - are they hard to do?

It will be about a month before I can get the individual pictures of the flies posted. I hope that you will be willing to share SBSs or thoughts about tying your patterns. This is a unique opportunity for all of us to share. Have a great fishing season!

Tom

Tying big fly philosophy:

When I started tying larger flies, not that I tie a lot of them, the guy I was tying with said "no more than two minutes, don't spend more than two minutes tying a fly that's going to last one or two fish." I said, "well, tough thread, lots of adhesive, etc etc". His reply was, "why? Now youre out time and materials".

My point is this, the fly I tied is more involved than what I would normally tie. The fly I tied last year I had down to 1:45, and it's a proven pattern, I'm sure they all are.

But I guess I'm left wondering, because there is a lot of time and extraordinary efforts with these larger flies, what's your driving factor behind predator flies?

I normally tie simple, contrasting colors with some flash, but after last year's swap I went in a different direction for this year's swap. But I know when I'm tying for myself I will revert back to a more "disposable" fly.

Just a rambling thought...

Flies look great. I missed out on both my Muskie trips last year due to other commitments, looking forward to this year.

I am not going to lie, I like to take my time on my flies and treat them with more importance than any of my other flies. I want the fly to last for several fish, I have one that has caught 7-8 fish and looks the same as it did when it came off the vise. I don't tie them as disposable, I am willing to do just about whatever it takes to keep from losing them.

On another note, I may be one of the first guys to test them out since I am south enough there isn't ice and north enough where there are musky. I will try and test them out next weekend for sure and possibly this Sunday if they get here either today or tomorrow.

jfinn,

It is nice to see they are starting to arrive and glad you liked them. People did a great job on the swap and we will have lots of options this summer. The next couple of months are going to drag as the anticipation builds.

WVU,

I hope you catch a big one and send back reports of your fishing to all of us, who are ice-locked.

Tom

Wholly Cow!!!! I got mine yesterday and I am totally blown away on the tying talent with this swap. I will be messaging some you on the side to pick your brain.

Pictures of the single hook flies for the Musky Swap 2016

post-35105-0-00084800-1457290543_thumb.jpg

Fish for Life - Flashabou streamer

post-35105-0-37318100-1457290584_thumb.jpg

ihang10 - Hangtime variation

post-35105-0-39658400-1457290619_thumb.jpg

Crackleback - T-Bone

post-35105-0-23921900-1457290670_thumb.jpg

WVU on the fly - Bufford

post-35105-0-73463600-1457290708_thumb.jpg

jfinn - Jerad's Outlaw

post-35105-0-31029900-1457290744_thumb.jpg

Muskyflyguy - Redhorse streamer

post-35105-0-47487200-1457290779_thumb.jpg

add147 - streamer

I got my flies today. Holy smokes these are cool. I should be able to fish them sometime this month. We have a lake with muskies here. The only boats allowed are rowboats you rent there which they usually start renting out sometime in March although I've seen them not start until April.

I am really curious about the action of Crackleback's fly with the rattle in the head. Mike - are they hard to do?

The rattle head is really just as easy as a regular body tubing head. After you fold over the tubing slide in a rattle, finish tying in the tubing and that's it. You'll have the rattle sealed inside the tubing.

Flies arrived and they quickly filled up half of my fly box.

Nice work gents.

Great swap MFG, thanks.

Got mine today great job guys! Their going to be in a display box until needed!

Question where are you getting the long hackle? Are you buying saddles?

WOW....I feel honored that my flies will be with some great company in a display box. I have to be totally honest though I do not think my flies measured up to any of the other flies. When I sent mine in I though to myself I really screwed the pooch on this swap. I think my flies sucked...This type of tying is very interesting to me but I will admit is it some what challenging. Thanks to everyone for such a great swap. I am amazed at some all the flies that were tied!!!

Every year "Walt" from Pennsylvania comes down to a local fly show and I buy hackle from him. But Walt is not cheating time and he said this was probably his last season on the show circuit.