Fly Tying
mikechell

Get your road kill, while you can.

News Flash:

Aliens seem to be back. A number of deer have been found, partially skinned with almost surgical precision. UFO aficionados are calling it proof that Aliens do exist !!!

ummmmm. That isnt on Long Island New Youk... lol.

you know as well I as I do, I'm not surgically inclined... more of a "rip and run" fellow.....

I draw the line at road kill skunk. But I do watch for freshly killed squirrel. In Texas, we have plenty of armadillos, but they have no fur, so forget them.

Bill

When I worked in Mexico I learned how good Armadillo is to eat. One fellow who worked for me , that liked to hunt, came to work with an Armadillo he gotten the night before. Every women that worked for me wanted to buy some of the Armadillo. When I lived in Michigan I used to get a lot of black squirrels. Still have couple of them. My cat gets me ground squirrel and red squirrel tails; its like he knows that it is his job.

12237122_1528662550782769_1402379889_n.j

trendy cam newton will have us all wearing fox tails

Hahahahahaha. Cam Newton is 6'5" and 245 pounds. The same size as many NFL linebackers and faster than most running backs. I've seen Flytire's photo. I would love to see it...........at 13 - 0 the entire City of Charlotte would chase you down to retreive the fox tail.

Bob Nelson......foxes aren't allowed in heaven without tails. Meanie.

Ah, I didn't know he was a foot bawler. Sorry, didn't mean to mess with people's religions.

Sorry Mikechell, once again you failed Southern 101. You Floridians are almost Yankees. NASCAR is religion. NFL Football is culture, college football is the meaning of life. CLEMSON

And science not so important. http://pix11.com/2015/12/15/north-carolina-voters-reject-solar-farm-for-fear-panels-might-suck-up-all-the-suns-energy/

Aforementioned, Texas has many a squirrel to take advantage of for tying. I'd actually be interested in using road kill for free materials. Anyone that does this, what's the best way to clean said kill? And do you bite the bullet and get the strange looks from people or wait until they pass by to pick it up?

There is an article here on site that explains how to tan a hide . if you get caught with some "road pancake" just look them in the eye and say " it's a little gamey but great in soup."

In "frontier" days, they intentionally left game out to "cure" or "age". The beginning of spoiling actually tenderizes the meat. So, basically, road kill has been tenderized like beating it with a hammer AND aged to perfection.

But I'll just stick with gathering hides and tails and you, PJ, can deal with the culinary side of them.

Just ... I don't actually do much skinning of road kill, but I do cut off tails.

And I really don't care who sees me, since most of them I don't know and will never meet. The people who DO know me, wouldn't consider it "out-of-character".

Nascar religion!! LMAO Left turn, left turn another left hand turn!!!LOL

You want furs to cut up check out the Goodwill stores - they'll sometimes have some they don't think will be good enough in the stores and they take you out to the sorting area and let you look, I've gotten a few that way.

I almost stopped and picked up a fresh raccoon tonight but was all dressed for dinner and would have had to leave it in the car, incase you didnt know by the weather channel it was 85 degrees today here in florida so not a good idea! Next time.

What makes you think that, PJ? Just because we're pursuing the "sport of nobility" using roadkill?

Ha ha ha ... I think that's one of the LEAST factors of why this group could be thought of as "odd".

I read things in here that make me wonder if I am the only sane person on this site?!?!?!

The tail's the best part, Joseph. Next time, just cut that off and buy a bag of ice.

do you just stick the end of the tail in salt for a week or so?

I put mine into a plastic jar filled with kitty litter. I've got three tails in the freezer. The one I am using stays in the kitty litter jar unless I am using it. No smell and it's been good for a long time. I am just now ready to swap out and put one of the others in. No more "two toned" fur left. I get more hits on the flies I tie with the two toned hair.