Fly Tying
rpm0024

Woolly buggers

One point to remember as you continue to tie flies. No matter what someone tells you a fly imitates, that person is just saying what it looks like to US. NO fish EVER has said what the fly looked like to them. I have had some seriously long conversations with trout, and not one has ever had anything to say. If they are reacting to and striking your flies, that's all your gonna get, and that is really all you want.

I always said trout are better at knowing what they don't want than what they want LOL.

One point to remember as you continue to tie flies. No matter what someone tells you a fly imitates, that person is just saying what it looks like to US. NO fish EVER has said what the fly looked like to them. I have had some seriously long conversations with trout, and not one has ever had anything to say. If they are reacting to and striking your flies, that's all your gonna get, and that is really all you want.

I always said trout are better at knowing what they don't want than what they want LOL.

Nothing will boost your confidence in your own skills, and demistify trout like watching one come up and refuse a natural, then turn its head and take yours.

Then again, it's far more likely that it refuses the natural AND yours...to go cross the entire stream and crush a cigarette butt.

Nothing will boost your confidence in your own skills, and demistify trout like watching one come up and refuse a natural, then turn its head and take yours.

Then again, it's far more likely that it refuses the natural AND yours...to go cross the entire stream and crush a cigarette butt.

exactly! When I was a kid I used to catch trout on bumble bee flies I tied with pipe cleaners, and flies I tied with old fur coats from the thrift store and cat hair, my mother was always wondering why the cat was missing patches of hair!

Its funny because whenever anyone has a vice question someone posts a picture of the magnifying glass with two alligator clip arms as a joke but that is literally what I tied on and despite not having any real tying materials I caught lots of fish!

exactly! When I was a kid I used to catch trout on bumble bee flies I tied with pipe cleaners, and flies I tied with old fur coats from the thrift store and cat hair, my mother was always wondering why the cat was missing patches of hair!

Its funny because whenever anyone has a vice question someone posts a picture of the magnifying glass with two alligator clip arms as a joke but that is literally what I tied on and despite not having any real tying materials I caught lots of fish!

I went out back in my Grandmother's garden and dug up some worms LOL ! And I caught fish too. That's if we weren't spearing them, to which I must admit to having much less success at doing !

That's funny ! Or have the corker in the river come up to your leader knots ( I use knotted leaders) totally ignoring your flies !! That's about when I pack it up because I'm not tying flies that small, period.. That sure debunks a few theories though, IE: big fish take tiny flies for sure, bigger isn't always better. And so much for trout being leader shy !!

Might have one to that, Dave. I was the fly fishing only stretch of a local creek, stocked trout, I was standing in knee deep water stripping in a woolly bugger and letting the stripped line drop in the water. All sudden I noticed my fly line moving upstream, looked down and there was a decent rainbow with the line in its mouth heading that way. it let go as soon as I pulled on the line. I've seen the rise for miniature marshmallows and found cigarette butts in the stomachs of some that I've cleaned.

I've done plenty of wading in ponds and never seen a leech. When I was in SE Asia, I saw plenty of them, wherever it was damp. Not running water, but on the ground. They'd get big as a cigarello before being removed from the tender parts of the body. Just never saw one in moving water around here.

Might have one to that, Dave. I was the fly fishing only stretch of a local creek, stocked trout, I was standing in knee deep water stripping in a woolly bugger and letting the stripped line drop in the water. All sudden I noticed my fly line moving upstream, looked down and there was a decent rainbow with the line in its mouth heading that way. it let go as soon as I pulled on the line. I've seen the rise for miniature marshmallows and found cigarette butts in the stomachs of some that I've cleaned.

Philly, I've seen some crazy sights but that one I have not seen LOL !

I do mine like the one in the olive bugger video. I tie some with a fluffy tail (tips ripped off) and I tie some with the tips. I do not like a large tail

I tied on a pair of channel locks, pillow stuffing and sewing thread, we had chickens so feathers were easy, caught lots of fish on those flies too.