Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Need help with pattern design

Thanks to everyone, who posted on this topic. You are all great problem solvers and you gave me much to think about...patterns, techniques, humor, and Cream, that analysis and development of your prototype was exceptionally impressive. I appreciate the positive and quality feedback that we get on this site.

MFG

Thanks to everyone, who posted on this topic. You are all great problem solvers and you gave me much to think about...patterns, techniques, humor, and Cream, that analysis and development of your prototype was exceptionally impressive. I appreciate the positive and quality feedback that we get on this site.

MFG

it's a pretty awesome site !

Sorry, Musky ... we did get a little ... off topic. Mostly my fault. A few weeks in a hotel room in the cold weather and I am already getting cabin fever.

I, for one, am quite eager to see if Cream's design works. I don't care for flies that mimic lures, but I do want to see if that thing wobbles, spins or just planes to one side or the other.

This situation could be approached in a different way by asking "where is the advantage for fly fishing in this situation- fishing deep." That for me is floating or neutral bouancy flies in conjunction with fast sinking line and very short leader; like 3 feet. This set up allows you to work the fly very slowly just above the bottom or top of the weed bed. Works for me.

Cheech, you dont think wrapping the shank with say two rows of lead and using large dumbell eyes will get all that deer hair down? I put large lead eyes on a clouser they drop like a rock, I understand deer hair is buoyant but that much?

Deer HAIR does not have the same characteristics as bucktail.

I wonder when fly fishermen are going to understand that there are certain qualities inherent to "heavy lures" that we just will not be able to imitate with flies.

"Heavy lures" meaning lures cast by propelling the mass of the lure, not the line. Spinning, baitcasting, everyone knows what I mean.

There are qualities of some lures such as vibration, flash, texture, sink rate, and others which cannot be duplicated with what we reasonably accept as a "fly".

Fish have senses which we do not fully understand, and more or less can not comprehend, such as what they "feel" with their lateral line.

A rattling, shaking, vibrating, HARD BODIED crankbait produces stimuli which are not going to be duplicated by a lightweight, quiet, soft bodied fly.

Oh, then why don't we add scent/taste to the mix? Fly fishermen are the only breed of anglers who refuse to acknowledge- or just consider themselves holier than the

unwashed masses- the effects of scent.

My guess is we will NEVER accept it as a community.

NOTHING is new here... there are environments and sets of circumstances where "fly fishing" is just not the most effective or enjoyable method. Maybe you COULD cast

an imitation of a 3/4 ounce lipless crankbait... on a 27 weight rod. Wow that would be so much fun.

Well over half a century ago, one of the greatest anglers ever, Ray Bergman, summed it up:

"there are bug days, and there are plug days..."

The funny thing is, we are discussing this in a thread regarding bass... not even part of the cult who worships the holiest most exalted trout!