Fly Tying
flyguy613

Peak Lirs vice / jaws

Anyone have this system or use it? Hoping it would be able to hold the size hooks I need, maybe 6/0 on the upper end?

Just wanted to know what size hooks you've gotten it to hold, and general reviews if thee are any.

Thanks

Peak Lirs ?

Lost me on that one!

Check out their FAQ's.

http://www.peakfishing.com/FAQ.html

My Peak saltwater jaws hold a 6/0 nicely, no fear of hook slippage.

The Peak vise comes with standard jaws, and the midge & saltwater jaws

are additional choices. This is the very reason I went with the Peak vise -

there was never any question as to what hook size range the jaws might (or might not) hold.

I have no experience with peak lirs, but I bought the peak rotary vise about a year ago, and I am completely satisfied. I would be surprised if the lirs product was disappointing.

Just my two pennies... I have the Peak with all three jaws. I have used the salt water jaws to tie 6/0 SS hooks. There was no slippage that I could find. I have enjoyed owning this vise. For me, I'm not sure what the advantage of the new LIRS system would be. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion. However it looks really cool.

Michael

I have used the jaws before and they are great for really cranking hard on deer hair flies and packing them tight. But they are monstrous, I can do everything the same with my griffin mongoose and tie flies all the way down to 18's, smallest I tie with and know people who tie to 32's on it, with no need for changing jaws

That's odd I've played around with the head now, seems anything larger than 4/0 has issues. Mostly being able to turn the hook which then loosens the jaws

A friend of mine has just acquired a set of these. I am going to visit with him at the end of the month, and will have chance to try them out. The principal is not new. On other vices that use this hook holding method the hook tends to swing when you run down the shank at any speed. The motion sets up rhythmical stresses that work the hook loose. Peak may have overcome this. I don't know yet; I will keep as open a mind as I can when I find out.

Cheers,

C.