WdyCoachmen

Beadhead Caddis

Under Artificial Fly, the regs now read as such:

Fly (Artificial Fly):
A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair,
thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which
no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar

device is added

In this section where it lists materials, the old book said no weight added. So it looks like that is taken out now. Nice !

BUT ... you can't use articulated flies. Or, at least, double hook articulated flies.

Single point it states. But it Appears that under fly fishing we can use three flies with a dropper rig. That used to be two or its all anyone did.

"Lead Sinkers:
It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, or use a lead sinker that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less. This does not include artificial lures, or weighted line or lines, or jigs.
NOTE:
After September 1, 2016 the sale or offer for sale of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited and after September 1, 2017 the use of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited.
(12663-B & 12664)"
Looks like you're okay for hiding the lead wire in the fly.

It looks it but you got to into the fly fishing regs, that's where it was before as I recall.. Course it looks like the whole law has changed for 2016 and 17 in general.

Just use this instead of lead wire for adding weight to sub-surface patterns:

http://www.orvis.com/p/nontoxic-fly-wire/349t

It's been around for years...

PT/TB

"Lead Sinkers:
It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, or use a lead sinker that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less. This does not include artificial lures, or weighted line or lines, or jigs.
NOTE:
After September 1, 2016 the sale or offer for sale of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited and after September 1, 2017 the use of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited.
(12663-B & 12664)"
Looks like you're okay for hiding the lead wire in the fly.

It looks it but you got to into the fly fishing regs, that's where it was before as I recall.. Course it looks like the whole law has changed for 2016 and 17 in general.

Just use this instead of lead wire for adding weight to sub-surface patterns:

http://www.orvis.com/p/nontoxic-fly-wire/349t

It's been around for years...

PT/TB

Pretty sure the fly shop where I go to in Maine has sold something similar for years as well, might even be Orvis branded. But I have lead to use up and since it's not illegal to do so, I will.. But thanks for posting !

1/8th bead on a 14 works according to all the charts I have and it looks great, fish it and let us know how it worked.