Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WdyCoachmen

Beadhead Caddis

coachmen,

bead look fine as was said above a bit more dubbing by the bead and comb it out a bit bamm great looking caddis larva.

silvercreek,

great Rhyo info but I done think he was necessarily going for a specific species imitation, just a general imitation. in many of our local freestones Rhyo larva are one of the top 3 most important insects to imitate.

steve

The Rhyacophila caddis is a fast water insect. According to Gary LaFountaine, a green caddis larva pattern is best used in fast water. So regardless of whether the pattern was intended as general caddis pattern, I believe it is best used as a fast water caddis. There is experimental evidence to show that this is so.

Gary LaFountaine writes on pg. 308 in Caddisflies about an experiment he did in the Wind River in Wyoming. He had Graham Marsh fish a fast water green caddis larva and Wayne Huft fish a slow water dark cased caddis pattern. Both anglers fished a quarter mile of river which had areas of both fast and slow water. The fast water pattern caught 22 fish in fast water and 6 fish in slow water. The slow water pattern caught 6 fish in fast water and 19 fish in slow water. So each pattern out fished the other pattern 3:1 when used in the appropriate type of water.

Gary writes, "A fly fisherman can avoid wasting time in the wrong sections of a stream by working leap-frog fashion instead of in a straight line. If he is using an imitation of a fast-water insect he should fish only the swift, broken currents, skipping past the slower current areas. Likewise, if he is using an imitation of a slow water insect he should cover only the quieter pools and flats.... The leap-frog method of reading a stream is especially valuable with Rhyacophila species."

It is specific information like this that is backed up by more than just feelings that makes Caddisflies still the very best book on Caddis.

From a Dave Hughes book, nymphs for streams and still waters

green rhyo and some imitations

Screenshot_2016-01-24-17-00-52.png

I agree, sink rate comes first, most of the time the fish aren't that picky when it comes to bead size. If you really want to get specific, here is what I like for hooks to bead size.

Hooks 8 and 10 a 5/32 bead

size 12 gets a 1/8 bead

size 14 gets a 7/64 bead

size 16 gets a 3/32 bead

These are what I tie the most. I go by this chart. If I want the fly lighter I use brass beads, max heavy go tungsten with lead wire shoved up the bead and wrapped on the hook shank.

Bob

I agree, sink rate comes first, most of the time the fish aren't that picky when it comes to bead size. If you really want to get specific, here is what I like for hooks to bead size.

Hooks 8 and 10 a 5/32 bead

size 12 gets a 1/8 bead

size 14 gets a 7/64 bead

size 16 gets a 3/32 bead

These are what I tie the most. I go by this chart. If I want the fly lighter I use brass beads, max heavy go tungsten with lead wire shoved up the bead and wrapped on the hook shank.

Bob

No can do the lead wire in Maine. That's my personal point of contention and what is changing my pattern on me. So Tungsten bead it will be, gonna try that idea.

And yes, I fish these in fast water for salmon and brook trout. Salmon especially go for them though.

No can do the lead wire in Maine. That's my personal point of contention and what is changing my pattern on me. So Tungsten bead it will be, gonna try that idea.

And yes, I fish these in fast water for salmon and brook trout. Salmon especially go for them though.

Bummer when you have to give up a proven pattern. I like lead wraps because it's so easy to adjust the amount of weight. I try to obey all conservation laws, but this would test me.

Another option for more weight in caddis patterns is 2 or even 3 beads. For green caddis larva like the rhyacophelia or hydropsyche, I use a regular bead at the head second green bead between thorax and abs. You could definitely use 2 brass beads and cover the second with wingcase/legs/dubbing.

Cool hydropsyche photo from westfly:

spotted_larva1_600.jpeg

Bummer when you have to give up a proven pattern. I like lead wraps because it's so easy to adjust the amount of weight. I try to obey all conservation laws, but this would test me.

Another option for more weight in caddis patterns is 2 or even 3 beads. For green caddis larva like the rhyacophelia or hydropsyche, I use a regular bead at the head second green bead between thorax and abs. You could definitely use 2 brass beads and cover the second with wingcase/legs/dubbing.

Cool hydropsyche photo from westfly:

spotted_larva1_600.jpeg

Indeed very cool !

Yeah it screws with my patterns especially since the lead was part of the profile builder.. Same with my wooly buggers, though I get around that with an under wrap put on first.

From "CentralMaine.com":

"AUGUSTA — A new Maine law limits the use of lead fishing gear in an effort to protect the state’s loon population.
The bill, L.D. 730, went into law without the governor’s signature on Thursday.
Under the new law, stores will be banned from selling lead sinkers and lures beginning Sept. 1, 2016. People will not be able to use those items starting the next year. Lures with covered lead will still be allowed, but no lead will be allowed in sinkers.
The state says lead poisoning from lures and sinkers is the leading cause of death for Maine’s adult loons.
The bill is sponsored by Democratic Sen. Anne Haskell of Portland. She says the new law will help preserve loons for future generations."
According to this, you should be able to tie with lead wire. It would be considered "covered lead", I would think. But then, the fly shops aren't allowed to sell the lead wire, so you might have to go across State lines and Smuggle it in!

An Act To Protect Maine's Loons by Banning Lead Sinkers and Jigs

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §12663-A, as enacted by PL 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §288 and affected by §422, is repealed.

Sec. 2. 12 MRSA §12663-B is enacted to read:

§ 12663-B. Unlawful sale of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs

1. Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
A. "Bare lead jig" means an unpainted lead jig that contains lead and that:
(1) Weighs one ounce or less; or

(2) Measures 2 1/2 inches or less in length.

B. "Lead sinker" means a device that contains lead that is designed to be attached to a fishing line and intended to sink the line and that:

"Lead sinker" does not include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.

2. Sale of lead sinker or bare lead jig. This subsection governs the sale of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs.
A. A person may not:
(1) Sell a lead sinker; or

(2) Beginning September 1, 2016, sell a bare lead jig.

B. A person who violates this subsection commits a civil violation for which a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 may be adjudged.
C. A person who violates this subsection after having been adjudicated as having committed 3 or more civil violations under this Part within the previous 5-year period commits a Class E crime.
3. Offer lead sinker or bare lead jig for sale. This subsection governs offering lead sinkers and bare lead jigs for sale.
A. A person may not:
(1) Offer for sale a lead sinker; or

(2) Beginning September 1, 2016, offer for sale a bare lead jig.

B. A person who violates this subsection commits a civil violation for which a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 may be adjudged.
C. A person who violates this subsection after having been adjudicated as having committed 3 or more civil violations under this Part within the previous 5-year period commits a Class E crime.

Sec. 3. 12 MRSA §12664 is enacted to read:

§ 12664. Unlawful use of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs

1. Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.

B. "Lead sinker" means a device that contains lead that is designed to be attached to a fishing line and intended to sink the line and that:

"Lead sinker" does not include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.

2. Unlawful use. This subsection governs the use of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs.
A. A person may not:
(1) Use a lead sinker; or

(2) Beginning September 1, 2017, use a bare lead jig.

looks like split shot is a no go in maine but not weighted flies

An Act To Protect Maine's Loons by Banning Lead Sinkers and Jigs

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §12663-A, as enacted by PL 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §288 and affected by §422, is repealed.

Sec. 2. 12 MRSA §12663-B is enacted to read:

§ 12663-B. Unlawful sale of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs

2. Sale of lead sinker or bare lead jig. This subsection governs the sale of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs.

A. A person may not:

(1) Sell a lead sinker; or

(2) Beginning September 1, 2016, sell a bare lead jig.

3. Offer lead sinker or bare lead jig for sale. This subsection governs offering lead sinkers and bare lead jigs for sale.

A. A person may not:

(1) Offer for sale a lead sinker; or

(2) Beginning September 1, 2016, offer for sale a bare lead jig.

Sec. 3. 12 MRSA §12664 is enacted to read:

§ 12664. Unlawful use of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs

2. Unlawful use. This subsection governs the use of lead sinkers and bare lead jigs.

A. A person may not:

(1) Use a lead sinker; or

(2) Beginning September 1, 2017, use a bare lead jig.

looks like split shot is a no go in maine but not weighted flies

I'll have to see what the new fishing law book reads like , I don't have that as yet ( and won't for a bit I'm from Ma.). I don't think I have an old law book even at the moment, it might have been 2012-13 or so I thought it was written right in the fishing law book ( rules regs etc by county). I'll dig through my car. For some time I ignored it more or less since I had lead wire in my tying kit and flies with it in my cases. But now I need to tie Caddis pupa, I'm really low on them. The rules you guys quoted read different about it, because in this new law it looks like lead can be buried in a fly. The old rule said it coudn't LOL !

"Lead Sinkers:

It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, or use a lead sinker that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less. This does not include artificial lures, or weighted line or lines, or jigs.

NOTE:

After September 1, 2016 the sale or offer for sale of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited and after September 1, 2017 the use of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited.

(12663-B & 12664)"

Looks like you're okay for hiding the lead wire in the fly.

"Lead Sinkers:
It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, or use a lead sinker that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less. This does not include artificial lures, or weighted line or lines, or jigs.
NOTE:
After September 1, 2016 the sale or offer for sale of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited and after September 1, 2017 the use of an unpainted bare lead jig that weighs one ounce or less or measures 2.5 inches or less is prohibited.
(12663-B & 12664)"
Looks like you're okay for hiding the lead wire in the fly.

It looks it but you got to into the fly fishing regs, that's where it was before as I recall.. Course it looks like the whole law has changed for 2016 and 17 in general.