Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

What do you think of this mullet pattern?

I fish for stripers in new england from shore, I use a similar fly, one of popovics fleyes tied with deer hair, it is my go to fly that has done well for me.

I checked out your video and I thought it was well done. Keep up the good work!!!

Yeah it's like a popovic I guess, I'd say it's closer to an EP style though. But yes I try to tie sea through and whispy, to bring out depth in the fly. Kind of like the approach popovic usually uses for his flies. I'd love to see yours GC59. I tie this in a chartreuse and white for striper, works pretty well.

Agn54, your right it does push lots of water.

Thanks add147

Actually yes your right, I just looked up the fly you named and I think you meant to say the "flex delete" and it's a lot like that. Tied with different materials, and not epoxied as high up the hook shank, but close to that, yes.

I fish for stripers in new england from shore, I use a similar fly, one of popovics fleyes tied with deer hair, it is my go to fly that has done well for me.

No I meant what I wrote McFly sparse deerhair moves well in saltwater and catches stripers. Bob Popovics wrote a book named Popovics Fleyes, your fly reminded me of the deerhair deceiver, Ill see if I can find one and post it.

No I meant what I wrote McFly sparse deerhair moves well in saltwater and catches stripers. Bob Popovics wrote a book named Popovics Fleyes, your fly reminded me of the deerhair deceiver, Ill see if I can find one and post it.

Oh ok, I had never heard of that. Thank you so much for the info. I am gonna have to check that book out. I honestly don't know a whole lot about much of the previous "styles". I started tying just cause I was sick of paying the $10/fly in the shops. I taught myself most of this stuff by finding info online. I probably should have read books instead of watch youtube videos, but its what was accessible for me. I started making these video's because it was hard for me to find good video's for certain patterns and I wanted to pass some (the very little I have) onto people like me that don't have access to other sources. There are a few guys doing video's that have high quality, but they cannot tie all the flies you know? HAHA

Nice tie. Good video. I'll have to give it a try.

This is what I use for the mullet run in South Jersey. Based on Bob Pops Siliclone. Tail is white bucktail, flash tied on the side. He uses wool for the body. I used an artificial hair that resembles cotton candy. You can spin it like the wool trim it to shape. Lighter than wool and it will float in the surface film.. Colored with permanent markers, coated with silicone. It's worked well for me on stripers.

post-309-0-10525000-1454813735_thumb.jpg

Sorry ... I never got past the beard. I couldn't watch the video, so I never got to see how the fly is made.

Nice tie. Good video. I'll have to give it a try.

This is what I use for the mullet run in South Jersey. Based on Bob Pops Siliclone. Tail is white bucktail, flash tied on the side. He uses wool for the body. I used an artificial hair that resembles cotton candy. You can spin it like the wool trim it to shape. Lighter than wool and it will float in the surface film.. Colored with permanent markers, coated with silicone. It's worked well for me on stripers.

attachicon.gif014.JPG

Thats a nice fly! I like it! What is that material name, do you know?

Sorry ... I never got past the beard. I couldn't watch the video, so I never got to see how the fly is made.

Couldn't watch the video as in like your computer wouldn't let you, or you just didn't like the beard... ;) HAHA