Fly Tying
flytyerinpa

Raccoon Fur

Some of the fur is blended and used along with muskrat and coyote for the dubbing on an Ausable Ugly. One of the best woolly bugger type flies for catching fish that's out there.

Regards,

Mark

Tail works great in hair wing patterns, Tails and wingsgreat tials and wings for panfish flies too. Underfur is good for dubbing. You could if you have a big enough piece of hide cut some zonker strips but the hide has to be thin and flexable, I've seen pieces of coon hide that are thick.

I like the tail hair for my Panfish Attractor.

It's one of the few furs I've seen that actually hold it's shape when wet. It stays bushy and makes this fly a little more weed resistant.

I have both full tanned pelts & tails & have not used it a lot. But, it's certainly a material that could have many uses. I have tied flies similar to Mike's for flats type salt fishing & for carp. Some of the tails I have came from a furrier and have been dyed, so have a purple tint to them. I expect the hair would be good for some Steelhead or Salmon hairwing patterns. I've played with zonker strips from the pelts, but again have not done a lot with them. I feel it might be a good alternative to rabbit strips for some of the larger bass flies I like to tie.

The underfur would surely make a good dubbing. smile.png

Here's the only pic of a fly I've tied with the strips. The collar & tail are both raccoon. IMO there's potential.

100_4771_zps2f5486d0.jpg

I received a patch of raccoon a few years ago from someone here on the forum that they got from a coat maker or something like that. It was several zonker type strips sewn together, or so it seemed. The hairs are shorter but make nice tails and wings, especially on small poppers like this one

post-18514-0-08006800-1455481076_thumb.jpg

Panfish attractor.jpg

It's one of the few furs I've seen that actually hold it's shape when wet. It stays bushy and makes this fly a little more weed resistant.

Nice fly. Will you share the pattern?

Panfish attractor.jpg

Nice fly. Will you share the pattern?

Go here ... recipe and instructions.

http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=987655989&Itemid=53