Fly Tying
flyguy613

Deceivers

Hey Philly you should know bedda, "You wanna bedda pcture bring a bedda face".

Actually the fly appears to be ok, the camera work however....

There is NO WAY I would pull a newly finished fly through my mouth to wet it down!!! I do my best to pull out all fuzz, cleanly trim all threads and materials, but I just KNOW I'd end up with some of that in my mouth.

NO WAY !!!

Once you get the hang of tying Deceivers you'll find that they're pretty universal (particularly for colder waters). If you worked a Deceiver down my way (south Florida) you might want one that's a bit fuller/heavier dressed. Here's a bug that I tied for a shop in the Stuart, Florida area - it's on a 4/0 and it's nearly seven inches long....

post-30940-0-68837500-1456752574_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-71224300-1456752684_thumb.jpg

Look into the Bob Popovics' Bucktail Deceiver based on Lefty's but with all bucktail. I like these because they don't need feathers (which are becoming harder to find) so this is a great fly to learn. The BTD, is easy to tye after you get use to tying a bit as there is some tapering needed in this fly.....you're on your way though. Here is good size Deceiver on a 4/0 yummy....

post-18342-0-30546600-1456763181_thumb.jpg

You flies will perform as well as any others. I used to tie more deceivers and catch many more stripers 10 years ago than today. As a personal preference; I like a much smaller more tapered head. Also, get some peacock herl (either strung or on the feather) for a topping to dress them up. It is fairly cheap and adds a nice touch. Tight Wraps!

post-54877-0-85940500-1456859410_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-97864300-1456859424_thumb.jpg

Constructive criticism: The feathers aren't perfectly matched. Tsk tsk.

Realistic criticism: They look better than the one's I tie. And if mine hook fish, well...

Nice work!

The chartreuse Bucktail is actually on the top. The eyes I used are weightless so they will not make the fly swim upside down in the water. They are tied hook point down

Nice ties. Flats, why would Jamal's picture be upside down? It wasn't upside down for me or anybody else.