Fly Tying
FattyMatt

summer wading shoes

Hey all,

I've had great luck with crocs when fishing the river or beach from land and kayak, but I am looking to get a water shoe with better traction and support that WON'T CAUSE BLISTERS. I've had 2 cheap pairs of water shoes that caused blisters on my heels, and I'm headed to the Bahamas for 10 days and I'm hoping to avoid the whole blister thing.

Can anyone recommend a shoe that stays dry, has good traction that won't cause blisters? I don't want boots, I'm looking for a recommendation for a shoe/sandal type, think Teva style.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I know you said no boots, but this is a really decent boot.

Oakley LSA water boots.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005B68B6S/ref=asc_df_B005B68B6S4180373/?tag=shopzilla0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_rev_6-20;14571875452320227144110090301008005&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B005B68B6S&linkCode=df0

I had them originally for a back country canoe trip and I've since used them for stomping around in the streams and rivers. Order a 1/2 size up and wear a decent hiking sock.

If you are eligible for Oakley's Standard Issue program, there is a significant savings over retail, otherwise they are a little pricey.

51vJMWxN9sL._SY395_.jpg

Bahamas ... coral, sand and sea urchins. Traction won't be a problem, but urchin spines in the side of your foot might.

I am only speaking from experiences on other islands in the Caribbean. I love wading in sandals on rocky bottom and sandy bottom streams. I would rather feel the water flowing through my toes and around my feet. But I am not sure I'd wear sandals in salt water where there are urchins.

I do like the "tennis shoe" type wading shoes.

For years, I've just used a fabric sided tennis/running shoe. Get one that fits comfortably, and you should be able to wade all day. Just make sure you dry them out (rise away the salt first) before putting them away.

Im a Fan of Cabellas ultra lights. They also have a wading zip-up bootie that I've almost purchased for summer .

also stingrays, torpedo rays, jellyfish, and the most horrible beach denizen of all, the pop top. You need to cover the tops of your footsies too. But one wonders why it needs to be dry? Wearing your best socks?