Fly Tying

You are probably right mike, but I really didn't want to start an argument about the new generation and how spoiled we are and blah blah blah, I'm here to learn and acquire knowledge not argue about stuff like that

And Flats, you're doing a good job of learning too !

In my other post I said I wasn't going to get into it, "it" being the change of times . And that's what I meant ( at least not in any great detail), so you weren't getting an argument from me. Hey, I have 13 grand kids, some around your age, I don't argue with them either but make my point and move on. So far they don't argue back either, neither did my kids when that age. It's tough to argue with one participant who just put his foot down ! Discussion is another matter though, always willing to talk and discuss things but not argue, if it gets loud that's it, I'm done. Non of us is 100% right all of the time if ever . We might have a generational divide but that isn't the end of the world, so does every other generation LOL! It's just in my day at 14 or even younger actually, we earned our own money. But the laws let us do that too and society expected it, at least around where I lived.. So today things are different and that's what I meant in the short version. And personally I think that has led to some un-charming things to occur with young people. In fact I know it has ( another story for another time and post so don't ask).

If you get some additional materials I think that is great. If not, then in due time you will acquire some anyway. I say that because we all do ! Did you know that non of us has all that we want and never will ? We probably all have what we need though, the key is recognizing what is sufficient for our needs, seriously. We are a people who can over materialize things.. Meanwhile you have materials to use and you can use those materials for more than just Clousers. You might look into bucktail streamers you could tie for instance. And finally, has your last order come in yet ? You indicated last week you had some additional materials coming.

And don't stop tying !

I did, i received a white northern bucktail,white thread,pearl diamond braid,olive ep fibers,white ep fibers, size 2 34007 hooks, and white marabou. Do you know of any new patterns I could tie with these materials?

Sounds like a clouser minnow to me.

You have pike , walleye, bull trout or other big yap fish around you?

I have to extend a generous thanks to everyone on this forum. I wouldn't be where I am today without y'all. From experience and advice, to generosity (Thank again Vicrider and Utyer!) and being all around great ambassadors of our sport, it's been great.

FlatsRoamer, good luck man! Sounds like some minnow and baitfish patterns. Some Charlies with a pearl braid body and buck tail/marabou wing. I would tie in marabou at the bend, tie I the braid, wrap it as a body, tie off at the head, then make a reverse hollow tie of buck tail for a pretty good deceiver-ish buck tail baitfish pattern.

I did, i received a white northern bucktail,white thread,pearl diamond braid,olive ep fibers,white ep fibers, size 2 34007 hooks, and white marabou. Do you know of any new patterns I could tie with these materials?

With those materials many patterns could be tied. What size are the hooks you had before this order came in ? We can hook you up with some patterns, I'm 100% sure we can hook you up with some patterns. Oh and these EP fibers, are they long stranded or more like dubbing ? And by the sounds of those hooks are you tying for salt water ?

There are many EP minnow videos and a few different ways to tie them. I would think some peanut bunker might work most anywhere. Also there is the EP Clouser.

Up here in the northeast sand eels are a big player in any estuaries and along beaches, I don't know about where you are.

Probably there are members near your area who could better direct you on more specific patterns though.

Flats, in Florida ... I think we call them "glass minnows". The patterns for sand eels will work well here. Small, thin bait fish.

Here is one version of an EP Glass Minnow, pre tied.: http://www.bearsden.com/product13807.html

I did not look for a pattern though.

Here is a general salt water tie you could grab some ideas from using basically what you have for materials. For a darker back you could run a black marker over it. Course if you decide to alter pattern and based off your past experience here , you might not want to post it for critique LOL:

And of course the EP Clouser right from the data base here at the forum: http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern6414.html

FlatsRoamer you need to look in From the Saltwater Bench in the salt section to see a load of flies you could tie. Post your work there to get tips from hopefully not so snobbish salts fly fishers. Florida Sportsmans forum also has a flyfishing section with tons of flies for reference and just for Florida.

Also with Newtyer1 he has been on North American Fly Fishing forum screwing people there as well. Also found out he goes by bamboo1 as well. Scott Martin. They also posted a photo of the snake there too.

One day he will get his...

I will look into that and I am a regular visitor to Florida Sportsman, it's just that I like to know what the people have to say as well.

It's sad that things like this happens. On the other side though I had two seperate people offer to help me get started and zilch. I am disabled so I had to pinch pennies just to purchase a used AA Vice that came with a few (very few) materials and 15 hooks. I would have been very grateful to have gotten the help I was offered but it is what it is. Now I am becoming a great "scrounger" lol. I am even going to try and make foam ants out of my old Cpap filters. 😀

The AA Vice isn't that bad even though it's the only one I have ever had or used. I wonder if it makes a difference if you have an expensive vice?