Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

Good price on Cree saddle

Just found out this guy is an up and coming hackle farm. Hes raising his own birds, nice to support the little guy. What do you think of the quality of the cree?

without personal inspection it hard to to judge the quality of the hackle by looking at a photo

never heard of him

i'll leave my money in my wallet

without personal inspection it hard to to judge the quality of the hackle by looking at a photo

never heard of him

i'll leave my money in my wallet

He just started raising the birds a year ago, I found him on facebook. I am not a good judge of cree but the price seems great

It's really not a very good price when you factor in all of the variables that you take for granted when you buy a saddle from Whiting Farms. Things like stem thickness, barb density, fly sizes, amount of usable feathers. Even if it was a cape, $70.00 is on the high side for a new to the scene non-commercial hackle producer. The Cree color might be rare, but it's not that rare.

Regards,

Mark

If it had been listed at $25 -$35 many would jump on it and if the stem wasn't quite right they'd use their tying skills to make it work right. I wish that folks didnt always have to compare every hackle to Whiting. Denny Conrad was non=commercial and many people used his hackle.

This is a saddle Denny sent me for a piece of elk hair in a color he showed. Cree feathers in it but many others also,

100_2770.jpg

X2 AZWooly more competition is needed.

The guy lives in southeastern PA and knows what he's doing, I believe he said his strain has been worked on for much longer than he's been alive and he is the apprentice to that man. I bought two saddles from the Lancaster show. Good quality for a good price.

Hey fellas, been a few years since I've posted on here about my birds, just wanted to let you guys know some info on what's been going on. I've been working with my bloodlines for 6 years this may, over those years I've added quite a few birds from the original 8 that I had way back in the day. This year I have about 800 chicks on the ground and have added quite a few different bloodlines which most notably came from bobs hackle farm from York pa. I don't ever want to compare myself to whitings, because I'm not nor will I ever feel that I'm on any level comparable to what dr tom has done. What I do have is a decent flock of birds that tie well and have thin flexible stems with A decent barb count that's getting better each year. Hope everyone has a great day!

1 hook grade 1 and 2 capes will tie down to 20 and 22 with some going smaller, grade 1 capes will have a higher concentration of feathers than a grade 2 especially in the smaller sizes. Grade 3 will tie down to 18 and have less feathers on it. I sell a lot of grade 3 capes for saltwater flys. Saddles are a little different because I grade them on feather quantity and length, and mark down if they're more of a streamer type feather or a dry fly feather. Prices are the same for capes and saddles, grade 1 is $50, grade 2 is $40 and grade 3 is $30 and those prices include shipping anywhere in the contentinal US.