Fly Tying
thinkingredneck

I've been fortunate

JSzymczyk, (Jenna, can I buy a vowel?), you've hung your hat in a home in a dozen states and countries and you don't have the "history". I have to assume you were military (duh) and thank you for your wandering. I don't know the part of PA my friend worked in the oil fields in (hostile country though) but he said there was great trout fishing all around him even though he didn't fish at all. He just flew there for 2 straight weeks of 12 hour days then back to OK for 2 weeks off with a BIG check. The whole northeast seaboard has missed my travels. I have one of those biker maps you color in your states with and the middle of the country, south from the Carolinas and the western side of the country but in all the wandering and trips the wife and I took never made either coast. Never seen an ocean and only two Great Lakes.

Would love to have the fishing available you have to you and I have to believe you get to know your way around and get out in middle of week you've got some honey holes lined up.

Oil Country in Pennsylvania is mostly in the western and northwestern part of the state. The first drilled oil well in the history of the US was Drake's Well in Titusville, Pa. the entire petroleum industry grew from that.

My "home" territory where I grew up is full of oil and gas leases. Most of the family trees in that part of the state don't have any branches, so I understand your "hostile country" comment! Ha ha ha!

Yes there is good fishing to be had here (Harrisburg area) if you're willing to put in a little effort.

Nothing compares to the wilderness, solitude and occasional tranquility of Northwest Pennsylvania though... Lake Erie or the Allegheny River, Kinzua... give me some decent weather, my kayak, and a little food, and I might just go out and not come back some day.

If we just talk about travel ... Wife and I have been to all 50 States, and I've been to 18 other Countries. Between my time in the military and my current job, I've traveled widely.

Although I've talked to many anglers of all disciplines, I am terrible at remembering names. I don't remember anyone of note, other than richmc from this site.

In thinking a little more about this post I realized two more things that I have come to appreciate. The first is the improvement in tippet material. When I first started fly fishing over 40 years ago a popular brand of tippet was Nylorfi (made in France). Unfortunately, the "5X" was the diameter of 4X and the "6X" was closer to 5X. Not only this, but the stuff was a lot weaker. 5X Nylorfi broke at 4 lbs (not 5 lbs as is common today) and 6X broke at 2.4 lbs (not 3.5 lbs). Believe me, the improvements in diameter and strength have made a huge difference.

The other thing I've come to appreciate are indicators. I know that many anglers frown at their use. However, before indicators came along I can distinctly remember sitting on the bank of Silver creek wondering how I could get my flies down to the level of the fish while getting a decent drift. I knew my flies weren't getting deep enough but I didn't know what to do about it. When I learned about indicators, these problems were solved.

I would like to add that I have been fortunate enough to have three daughters who fly fish with me when they come home. They are grown and living their own lives. No Grandkids to teach yet. I have to share a story. Like most, I started the kids with bobbers and worms for Bream. One day I thought fishing was going to be over when one of them started naming the worms, and laying them out on a board. Then she grabbed one and said, "okay, George, it's your turn" and handed the worm to me to bait her hook. Sometimes I worry about her.

I would like to add that I have been fortunate enough to have three daughters who fly fish with me when they come home. They are grown and living their own lives. No Grandkids to teach yet. I have to share a story. Like most, I started the kids with bobbers and worms for Bream. One day I thought fishing was going to be over when one of them started naming the worms, and laying them out on a board. Then she grabbed one and said, "okay, George, it's your turn" and handed the worm to me to bait her hook. Sometimes I worry about her.

LOL That is a VERY good one!

Great stories...

My dad worked his tail off when I was a kid and he "rarely" took me fishing but his legacy ended with me, I made a vow of that. My younger son and I cannot get out fishing enough. My older son is more of an indoor cat (as the younger says in jest; but actually hikes and loves that). The common thread I read is that spending time with those that are important to us is what really matters most. Fishing is great, the stories of the personal bests and the incredible flies tied all are relatable to us. But at the end of the day what matters is our relationships. On my last day on this planet, I won't be asking for pix of those amazing fish I 've caught. I'll want family and friends to be with me.

On July 23rd I fished with a "friend". It was the first time I'd fished with a buddy in almost 25 years since I moved out of the town I was raised in to head out on my own. All my buddies moved away. For the last year or so, me and this friend talked about getting out. Listen, "good intentions don't get things done!" Finally I said we need to set a date in stone and "GO"! We did and it was one of the best blessings ever. A new lake to fish (for me). Time outside on a gorgeous day...etc...etc...etc... Oh and we did catch fish, many! But the time with Matt trumped a personal best I experienced that day. We had a great time donig what we enjoy together. I'll forget the regular fishing outings I've gone on alone quicker than ever, but not those with the people we care about.

I have two most memorable fishing time

When I was younger growing up in New Hampshire, my dad owned a local business, he worked hard to provide for us and I never really got much chance to spend time with him but every now and then on a Sunday morning after breakfast he would take me to what is still my favorite trout stream and we would fish, well I should say try to fish because I spent more time getting snagged in the trees and he would spend his time trying to get my line out of them. He never complained about doing it even to this day, whenever I mention it he just laughs. We don't get the chance to fish anymore together as time and age seems to have a way of stopping that, but I always think of those days whenever I am able to get to that brook.

The second was Fathers Day this year my daughter, who used to fish with me when she was younger but at some point she grew into a beautiful young woman and now is in college, woke me early on fathers day and said I had to get up now. I got up got dressed and asked what was the problem? she said that for fathers day that she was taking me fishing. She had bought her licence and gotten the fishing gear together and out the door we went. She caught more trout that day than I did but I didn't care. For a while, the sun was out, the fish were there and my daughter had given my the greatest memory.