Fly Tying
Bimini15

About to start using dubbing...

Hmmmmm

Reading my post.... I just realized I am not improving my technique but mitigating the effects of bad technique!!! :(

Cheers

Some dubbing materials are more stubborn than others about winding onto the thread and that's about the only time I resort to dubbing wax these days. Often I wet the thread a little with saliva. I'm going to try the finger dubbing with anti clockwise twisting because when I form a rope that is what takes place and the dubbing stays on the thread better than when applied to the thread clockwise as wrapped onto the hook. I really like the rope and it can be done with any rotary vise and bobbin cradle. By rotating the vise rapidly you can just brush some loose dubbing against the thread and it will wrap itself onto the thread and actually better than I can do by hand/fingers. a good demo of how this is done is shown by Norm Norlander with his Nor-Vise videos. But it works with any rotary.

The first advice I was given was to take the dubbing out for the fly. Take half of it off and put back in the container. Then take half of it again and put it in the container. Then you have about the right amount to tie a fly.

Rick

Personally, I always thought too much is made of the process of dubbing. It does require practice though. For me the hardest part was estimating how long of a dubbing noodle to make. Just take some hooks and experiment with just dubbing bodies to get the hang of it and see what works for you.

Thanks for all responses.

I received my FTD Tyers Box. Just wanted to say, since FTD has gotten a bad rap before, that I ordered on Sat afternoon and that the package arrived from Montana to South Florida today Thursday.

As for the contents, let's just say I am going to have a looooot of questions as to what to do with things like high floating fibers.

Thanks for all responses.

I received my FTD Tyers Box. Just wanted to say, since FTD has gotten a bad rap before, that I ordered on Sat afternoon and that the package arrived from Montana to South Florida today Thursday.

As for the contents, let's just say I am going to have a looooot of questions as to what to do with things like high floating fibers.

I use them on caddis ( hight float fibres)post-37956-0-31307700-1472192292_thumb.jpg

I use them on caddis ( hight float fibres)attachicon.gifDSCN0185.JPG

Retro, are those antenna made from mono strands ?

I used micro fibbets or you could use paintbrush bristles

Bimini,

Here's something to try to help you understand the dubbing process better. Take a small amount of dubbing and spin the top port of the dubbing around the thread. Move the dubbing to the hook shank. Wind the dubbing around the hook shank 1 or 2 turns; this should lock the tip of the dubbing against the shank. Now continue to spin the dubbing around the thread. You'll notice that the more you spin the dubbing the tighter the dubbing adheres to the thread and the thinner it gets. Thus, by using the process (and varying the amount of dubbing) you can determine how thin or robust you want the body to be. If you want a more fuzzy and loose body, don't spin the dubbing as much. (I hope this isn't too confusing)

One discription I have heard for dubbing is fuzzy thread. Be sparse as possible. It's easier to add than remove.

Take your dubbing in fingers. Take half of that and put it back. Take half of that and put it back. Best advice I ever had in dubbing. Takes time but after awhile you'll surprise yourself when the process starts to fall together. Then when you're sure you've got it, start trying to spin something like lazer dub. Best reason forming dubbing loops.

First attempt...

post-52874-0-58520100-1472319331_thumb.jpeg

Peacock herl body and then dubbing.

I think I had indeed way too much, even when I thought I had followed the advice. I picked and pulled out about as much as you can see on the fly now, and I think I could do that again, maybe twice, to end up with an appropriate size thorax.

Since the dubbing did not want to stick to the thread quickly, I suspect now because of the amount, I whipped a quick loop. I think I like loops because they are more up my alley (bass, saltwater streamers, lots of hair, bulky,...) and it shows in the result.

Opinions, comments, ... ?

Remember use the proper dubbing for the job. There is a dubbing for every purpose

dry flies: antron or super fine dubbing; use these because they don't absorb water.

leeches/streamers: You will want a dubbing that flows or breathes so longer fibers are wanted natural or synthetic

nymphs: look at rabbit or squirrel (these have guard hairs) to look more buggy

There are new materials like UV products or just plain marabou and things like llama, hares mask, or any of the wools (you might cut up).

I use mostly a dubbing loop now but I have used all the techniques for dubbing.

Like it has been mentioned you just want fuzzy thread you can always add more.

I use them on caddis ( hight float fibres)attachicon.gifDSCN0185.JPG

Retro, are those antenna made from mono strands ?

I used micro fibbets or you could use paintbrush bristles

I have fibbets, thanks ! It looks good incidentally.