Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stabgnid

Wings Or No Wings

I still think the tailing fibers are more important than the wings. And that's on more than one pattern, even when I fish a Muddler greased up and as a dry, if it looses its two little turkey patches it has for tails it stops catching fish.

And that above situation has happened to me repeatedly with LLS.. I'm still thinking on a replacement material for the turkey that would look similar at least and be less susceptible to the damage of toothy salmon. I don't know , maybe some sort of mallard flank will do it, that's pretty resilient. I can catch a lot of trout on one Hornberg for instance and they are pretty toothy too..

i think we'd all like to see that size 30 you tied

flytire's right ! I'd like to see this fly that you write about all the time too ! Let's see what it looks like.

UUHHH, I did just post pictures of a bunch of flies. They range from 20s on down to a couple of 30s. If I could get a good shot of the individual fly I would but they just don't come out legible. Here is a shot I got that actually came out pretty good but the 30 doesn't have wings in this shot. It's a 26 parachute and a 30 black gnat.

f7d3e744-f075-46ca-8d4e-cce2b6c8205b_zps

See, when you phrase your post like you did it's sort of challenging me to put up or it's bs and it would not be so funny if I hadn't just posted the pictures with a penny and H&L Variant for size reference. In one pic you can even just make out the quill body on the mosquito. There's a size 26 and 30 mosquito with grizzly wings in both shots.

The pic of mine has a lot shorter shank on a 16 but is basically the same Norm. I don't know why that one has Moose Mane for tail instead of calf tail. I usually try to tie it with one hunk of calf tail and one herl, half stripped so as to wind body and collar at once.

The story is Dwight Eisenhower loved that fly so much he had only one guide tie them for his favorite river and bought so many for premium prices and sent so many to friends that he literally bought the guide his cabin on the river with that one fly. I doubt that was entirely true but the part of his favorite fly seems to be.

I find that when fishing for wild brown trout the addition of wings can make a big difference.

That's my experience over many years.

When fishing midge patterns with the wings sitting in the surface film , I find the difference very substantial and greatly improves my catch rate. Same for daddies and cow dung style of flies.

It may simply be wings on flies give me more confidence and my catch rate goes up, but my experience says it is the addition of wings.

That said,when fishing for wild brown trout, I find time and time again that using wings coloured yellow on a range of different types of flies,greatly improves my catch rate for which I have no logical understanding.

Fotwin

I find that when fishing for wild brown trout the addition of wings can make a big difference.

That's my experience over many years.

When fishing midge patterns with the wings sitting in the surface film , I find the difference very substantial and greatly improves my catch rate. Same for daddies and cow dung style of flies.

It may simply be wings on flies give me more confidence and my catch rate goes up, but my experience says it is the addition of wings.

That said,when fishing for wild brown trout, I find time and time again that using wings coloured yellow on a range of different types of flies,greatly improves my catch rate for which I have no logical understanding.

I think you were correct about the confidence thing. I fish almost exclusively for wild brown trout, and seldom use winged flies. And my catch rate doesn't seem to go up if I do.

OTOH hand, having yellow wings certainly makes a fly easier to see, and that in itself might up your catch rate. Not necessarily because you miss fewer fish, but also because it's easier to avoid drag.