Fly Tying
GG34

Stacking deer hair

I haven't seen Cohen's videos but from all i have heard they are first rate. This is one of the best ones I have seen on Youtube for showing stacking (watch all 4 parts), although the one posted above is excellent too. Bruce Derrington did a live class on this forum back in the day when we had those things and it was fantastic. It would be cool if that video were floating around somewhere too, he does absolutely incredible deer hair work.

Once the hair is stacked how to you keep it from spinning on the hook? This is after the fly is done. It will move on the hook.

Once the hair is stacked how to you keep it from spinning on the hook? This is after the fly is done. It will move on the hook.

glue after every clump or two on the thread wraps, and you really need to crank down on the thread!

glue after every clump or two on the thread wraps, and you really need to crank down on the thread!

Thanks. Do you start with a thread base or stack on a bare shank?

Another well done video on stacking deer hair.

Detailed instructions for head.

YouTube

Skinny-Dipper Tutorial by Brammer

Regards,

FK