Fly Tying
McFlyLures

I lost a monster trout. Such a frustrating day on the river.

McFly, A competition nymph rod is tailored for Euro nymphing techniques, lighter, better balanced, mid-flex and slower action to generalize.

Sage and some others make fine competition rods but they come at a premium price also.

McFly, A competition nymph rod is tailored for Euro nymphing techniques, lighter, better balanced, mid-flex and slower action to generalize.

Sage and some others make fine competition rods but they come at a premium price also.

Oh, ok so "competition" rods aren't like specifically for like "fly fishing competitions"? LOL For some reason thats where my brain went. Like there were things that weren't allowed in competitions, or specifics that you had to had. Sorry, I got like 2 hours sleep last night, and about 3 the night before. Been working like crazy! No time off for christmas unfortunately. Working tonight also. So I have not been too bright or understand things well when I get this tired. HAHA Anyway, ok yeah, so basically "competition" rods are just Euro Nymphing rods basically? I know what the Euro Nymphing rods are, just didnt ever hear the term competition. Now I feel silly. Thanks for all the info, merry christmas!

Oh, ok so "competition" rods aren't like specifically for like "fly fishing competitions"? LOL For some reason thats where my brain went. Like there were things that weren't allowed in competitions, or specifics that you had to had. Sorry, I got like 2 hours sleep last night, and about 3 the night before. Been working like crazy! No time off for christmas unfortunately. Working tonight also. So I have not been too bright or understand things well when I get this tired. HAHA Anyway, ok yeah, so basically "competition" rods are just Euro Nymphing rods basically? I know what the Euro Nymphing rods are, just didnt ever hear the term competition. Now I feel silly. Thanks for all the info, merry christmas!

You should discuss a custom with Steve C Steel. Build it the way you need it, with sensitive tip, long reach, and stout enough for a 25 inch San Juan Rainbow pig... Fished there and watched friend bring 25 incher to net while hooked on barbless #20 aquatic worm pattern... Fantastic fishing daily in the Quality Water stretch...

You should discuss a custom with Steve C Steel. Build it the way you need it, with sensitive tip, long reach, and stout enough for a 25 inch San Juan Rainbow pig... Fished there and watched friend bring 25 incher to net while hooked on barbless #20 aquatic worm pattern... Fantastic fishing daily in the Quality Water stretch...

Well, I can wrap rods myself, Maybe I should just look for the right blank. I might do that, it will save me money, and its more enjoyable for me to fish a rod I wrapped. Any suggestions anyone on just a blank? Yeah, a 25" would be a nice fish. I think mine was more in the 20-21" range. However I was using a size 30 midge, so it really didn't want to stay in the fishes mouth.

Ye might try Ye Olde English Fly Shoppe. Lifetime warranty on his blanks with great prices. Some come with two tips.

6'6" Orvis Flea. Bamboo. Fishing as 3wt.

Two photos of a fall Brown caught on public water in North Carolina. You don't need a long rod to land large fish. Let the rod work and take your time. Dave G gave the best advice. Rushing and excitement loses more fish for the novice and even old timers.

Wow I read that back, I really was talking about fishing.

Bamboo is forgiving and buffers the fish. It is a shock absorber.

Cheap but good blanks to get into the craft. http://theanglersroost.com/

post-3361-0-75016100-1482696903_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-18148100-1482697163_thumb.jpg

The only mistake you made McFly was posting the video on here. LOL

You enjoyed the, the won. Plain and simple. This is what keeps you coming back to fight these magnificent fish.

Fishing for me is rather boring nowa days. It's been 12 years since I've lost my last fish..... hypocrite.giflol.gif

Two photos of a fall Brown caught on public water in North Carolina. You don't need a long rod to land large fish. Let the rod work and take your time. Dave G gave the best advice. Rushing and excitement loses more fish for the novice and even old timers.

trout5.jpg

my brown trout2.jpg

Beautiful fish! Bamboo, even at a good price point is way above my pay grade... I've never seen any at $300 though, but at the moment I can't even spend that... actually selling some of my stuff right now to pay for stupid propane to heat my house.

The only mistake you made McFly was posting the video on here. LOL

You enjoyed the, the won. Plain and simple. This is what keeps you coming back to fight these magnificent fish.

Fishing for me is rather boring nowa days. It's been 12 years since I've lost my last fish..... hypocrite.giflol.gif

12 years huh? Lol. Sounds totally legit! You are an awesome fisherman! Haha.

I love fishing, and have since the day I had a rod put in my hand. I think at age 6... it's been 27 years of fishing (all types) and I will never get bored of it.

trout5.jpg

my brown trout2.jpg

Beautiful fish! Bamboo, even at a good price point is way above my pay grade... I've never seen any at $300 though, but at the moment I can't even spend that... actually selling some of my stuff right now to pay for stupid propane to heat my house.

You apparently missed the Anglers Roost link that was posted above, and then under bamboo blanks , they have some pretty remarkable sales right now at well under $100. But you don't "have to have" bamboo to go midge fishing. A decent moderate action iM6 blank should work fine. I actually like iM6 M for midge fishing, some old composites too ( graphite/glass) and Sage Graphite II are all moderates I like. And of course some of Cortland's old blanks like that GF1000 3-4 I own.

trout5.jpg

my brown trout2.jpg

You apparently missed the Anglers Roost link that was posted above, and then under bamboo blanks , they have some pretty remarkable sales right now at well under $100. But you don't "have to have" bamboo to go midge fishing. A decent moderate action iM6 blank should work fine. I actually like iM6 M for midge fishing, some old composites too ( graphite/glass) and Sage Graphite II are all moderates I like. And of course some of Cortland's old blanks like that GF1000 3-4 I own.

Must have missed the blank pages, yeah. Dang that is a great price. Never fished a bamboo, or wrapped one. Are they good blanks everyone? Anyone use these? Any tips on wrapping bamboo?

Must have missed the blank pages, yeah. Dang that is a great price. Never fished a bamboo, or wrapped one. Are they good blanks everyone? Anyone use these? Any tips on wrapping bamboo?

I set up a bamboo rod for a guy locally,it had been his grand fathers rod and he couldn't figure anything out considering he also never fly fished before LOL ! That's about as much as I know. As far as wrapping the rod it depends how traditional you want it to look. A lot of people go for the clear wraps on them. I think I'd prefer color personally and coated with spar varnish or other non epoxy thread wrap finish. I'm sure you can find youtube on it and you can always join the rod building forum, there is a link further down in our menus here .

I'm going to guess if Anglers Roost is selling those blanks that they are decent but don't take my word for it. Anyway, I can be kind of a klutz , I think a safer bet in "classic" for me would be a glass blank.

I set up a bamboo rod for a guy locally,it had been his grand fathers rod and he couldn't figure anything out considering he also never fly fished before LOL ! That's about as much as I know. As far as wrapping the rod it depends how traditional you want it to look. A lot of people go for the clear wraps on them. I think I'd prefer color personally and coated with spar varnish or other non epoxy thread wrap finish. I'm sure you can find youtube on it and you can always join the rod building forum, there is a link further down in our menus here .

I'm going to guess if Anglers Roost is selling those blanks that they are decent but don't take my word for it. Anyway, I can be kind of a klutz , I think a safer bet in "classic" for me would be a glass blank.

Yeah, I was thinking about glass as well, however they are sooooo noodley, Also, quite heavy, so you can't get the length (like 9 or 10 foot). For nymphing, I think I would prefer a graphite, just a moderate graphite. I have a TFO Pro 2, and its a bit more moderate than the rod I was just using. I will try that next trip, see if it helps. I do want a glass rod though, but like a small 6-7foot 3wt for some of the small creeks I fish in southern CO. They are good dry fly area's, and a really slow action glass rod will work perfectly for light presentations needed for those small streams up there.

You've mentioned the above a couple of time. You're not familiar with modern glass rods. The run of mill graphite rods are too stiff and fast for most of old timers to enjoy, and a lot of new and younger are tired of the newer, faster, cast like never before advertising of the top graphite companies. Glass can now be made on better mandrels, the quality of glass and glue allows a much thinner yet stronger blank than the ones you speak. Being a bamboo addict having owned many old and new from different makers I love them compared to the graphites I bought when I got back into fly fishing after years of bass fishing standard tackle. Now glass is pulling many away from all bamboo since great tapers and strengths can be had in the new glass rods. Something else the new glass rods have kept up with is the prices of graphite. Top glass rods from the guys who make their own blanks and rod from scratch go for $400 and up. Steve buys quality blanks from makers who mass produce and can control quality, give wide variety of actions, yet keep price within a working man's budget.

As for the Anglers Roost bamboo rods and kits, they're okay. Something about bamboo makes me want to keep the making of blanks or rods in US even though the culms are Chinese. The few people who have made AR rods have commented about excessive glue lines on some blanks but otherwise good performance in the field.

I have made eight rods from AR. I have one bad blank. Returned it and was pleased with what I received in return. My first one was a kit my wife bought me for Christmas years ago. The price was $129 for everything. I have since changed out the reel seat, but still fish the rod. I had no experience building or wrapping rods. The guy at AR told me to call Jim Mills from Raven Fork Rods. The man is a master craftsman. He took many of my calls and emails.

Your opinion of glass rods is very out of touch. I have an Orvis Superfine that is extremely light and sensitive.

Might want to broaden your horizons. http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/