Fly Tying
flytire

January Flies from the Vise

Trying to get better at the small stuff. Haven't anything more complicated than a soft hackle or cdc and elk in these sizes in the past. This is a 16. I want to try out in 18 also. Garcia's mini-hot. 2017-01-18%2020.35.54_zps2auzqwbz.jpg

VERY well done, fishinguy!!! To my eye, that looks to be a perfect tie.

I have never tied that small, nor will I. A size 14 blood midge, tied at DRiFT Meeting in Illinois, will probably stand as my personal smallest fly.

Really like your March Browns sandfly... !!!!!

http://IMG_5233-Sulphur%20on%20SZ%2018%20f16%20

.... apologies... it's a bit 'big' .. haven't posted a pic in here in some time.

BCT

I like it ...thanks for sharing :)

My first crack at a crawfish.

Some swap miester got it for hosting a swap ...... smile.png

20170118_191828.jpg

That will probably catch some fish, Decisions.

But I always wonder about crawdad patterns.

I will get around to tying craw patterns at some time ... and I will not put a "tail" on them.

Having something hanging out in front of the hook eye, is just going to be another place for weeds and mosses to collect and foul the presentation.

If you left that piece off the front, and had the orange bead exposed, it would (probably) draw more strikes and (maybe) be a bit more weed resistant.

Thanks Mike & Nick. Yes it is foam Bimini - size 18 TMC2488, Spiderweb on the extended body, Veevus 12/0 or 16/0(forget which), Zeelon post, Superfine dubbing.

Have been playing around with foam extended bodies for a few years. The 2mm craft stuff is too thick for small bodies I've found. This stuff came from some packing material that we got that was attempting to protect a couple of chairs we bought and had shipped to us last Summer. It looks like the foam is less than a mm thick.

BCT