Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Turkey Streamer Fly - Feathers are from a turkey I shot

Yeah ok thanks, I've done that on a few flies in the past, but I'll try with this. I think for the video I had just wanted to only use materials from the turkey, kinda like a "challenge" thing for me. But yeah, a collar would improve the fly for sure.

You can make the collar out of marabou or some zonker fibers for that matter, it fishes with more action than deer hair too. I tie a streamer from Zonker that looks much like your turkey marabou and that's what I do, make a couple of turns of zonker at the head. I do some marabou streamers the same way, actually those are palmered marabou with the stiff end of the stem headed up front .. I couldn't begin to tell you how many salmon we have caught on those LOL.

If the little mess behind the bead really bothers you (fish don't care) or you're giving it to someone and want it nice, consider a dubbing rope or loop with some buggy dubbing like Mad Scientist Kraken, Lazer Dub, or Ice Dub. Would add a finishing touch to the fly and hide the loose ends.

If the little mess behind the bead really bothers you (fish don't care) or you're giving it to someone and want it nice, consider a dubbing rope or loop with some buggy dubbing like Mad Scientist Kraken, Lazer Dub, or Ice Dub. Would add a finishing touch to the fly and hide the loose ends.

This is another good idea for sure!

Very nice! I saved a bunch of feathers from the bird I shot last spring as well and will use them in this same way. Thank you so much for the idea and video. One thing I like to do when I use delicate materials like tail fibers and peacock for the body or thorax is to twist it around the tying thread first and wrap them together. The twist around the thread helps for when the delicate fibers eventually break (hopefully from a fish) they don't come completely unraveled.

Thanks!

There are feathers on the legs of the bird that can be wrapped as soft hackles as well. Great fly. I like it. I tie nymphs with the tail fibers and use the marabou for everything pretty much. The flats (body feathers with flat tops) make good parachute posts if you use about 1/4 of them. Of course the wings provide slips and biots. Lots of uses. Bout the only thing you can't use is the beard. Trust me I've tried it's too brittle and breaks. Tried to wrap a dry fly body with it.