Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

India hen back

I just got a patch of India Hen Back feathers by Hareline Dubbin. They smell like moth balls, really bad. Have any of you had this problem?

Most of my feathers smell like that now, since I keep them in the bins to repel moths. Keeps the moths out and doesn't seem to matter to fish. If the smell bothers you, it will go away in a while.

I would much rather have them arrive smelling like mothballs instead of no odor, and then find something moving around in it with some other signs of bug damage. I use the lavender scented Para moth balls for storing all my natural stuff now. You get the same protection, but don't have the bad smell any longer.

Regards,

Mark

I would much rather have them arrive smelling like mothballs instead of no odor, and then find something moving around in it with some other signs of bug damage. I use the lavender scented Para moth balls for storing all my natural stuff now. You get the same protection, but don't have the bad smell any longer.

Regards,

Mark

^^^^^^ Pay attention, boys and girls ^^^^^^

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that bugs were an issue. I've never had that problem. On a positive note, i don't have to put my materials away anymore, my wifes cat won't even enter the room with that thing laying out!

Mothballs under the tree skirt are supposed to keep cats out of the christmas tree, also. Works fairly well, but not perfect with our cats.

Moths can be an issue, but that's about the only bug that eats feathers. Carpet beetles but who has carpet beetles in their fly tying materials.

Most all bugs eat blood and live on live animals. If you keep feathers in plastic boxes, safe from moths, you'll be just fine.

Dust mites. Some may "poo-poo" that idea, but when you grab a handful of feathers and they are "moth eaten" without any signs of moths or their larvae ... it's dust mites!

I thought the main culprits were dermestid beetles, which as the name suggests, infest and destroy any natural material with the skin or hide still there.

I thought the main culprits were dermestid beetles, which as the name suggests, infest and destroy any natural material with the skin or hide still there.

you are correct. what are commonly called "carpet beetles" are a type of dermestid. They got their common name back in the days when many carpets were woven with wool yarns. They also still live in carpets but now mostly eat dropped food particles, skin, hair, animal parts. They don't just STAY on the carpet. The larvae eat more keratin type materials than skin or fat- so feathers, hair, butterfly wings, etc .

this topic comes up every month or so, and people seem to be in two camps. One largely thinks it is something to be aware of and prevent, and the other seems to think it won't happen to them or it is a fairy tale.

Yes it sucks if you open up a prized cape for which you paid $60 or $70 dollars and find some pest damage. It sucks way WAY more when you open up a collection drawer of butterflies and moths you collected halfway round the world 30 years ago and took extreme time and care in curating, and you know there is absolutely zero chance of ever doing it again, and find piles of dust where wings used to be. Or opening up a box of flies tied by your Great Grandfather with feathers from birds taken in the furthest tropical hazy reaches of a bygone empire... and find nothing but bits of feather, dust, and bare hooks.

All because you thought it would be ok to put a cedar chip in the room, or you didn't like the smell of a mothball.

http://snomnh-ri.blogspot.com/2012/01/dermestid-beetles-good-and-bad.html

https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/03-11.pdf

http://www.epestsupply.com/carpet_beetles.php#.WIqFGbmBDRE

http://museumpests.net/

also moth balls around the house to keep cats and skunks away

so do 2-3/4 inch #6 shot 12 gauge shells.....

:D :D :D :D