Fly Tying
antonio999us

Homemade disposal brush by 2 Cents

Hello Fly Tying anglers

This video is oriented to those anglers who use epoxy for finishing their flies and lures. It is a simple video where you can see how to do your own disposal brushes by two cents in one minute.

I used to buy cheap brushes at the stores to apply the epoxy coats for finishing my lures, and sometimes to do streamers' heads. I paid around US$ 1 to 2 dollars per brush... Unfortunately, as we already know, once the brush was dipped into the epoxy, you know that at the end of the process you will have to throw it away to the trash.

At least for three years, I was spending some money buying brushes and throwing them away. That's why I need to find a cheaper way to apply the epoxy, so I decided to do my own disposal brushes every time I need one.

To do these brushes, you just need these materials:
- Paint brush with 2" long hair
- Bobin + Thread
- Wood stick (to recycle)

I bought a painter brush (4" wide) for US$8, and then I begin to use its hair to prepare my own disposal brushes. I have calculated the cost of each one of my disposal brushes, and it is around two cents... seriously... Now, I do not feel pain at all every time I throw a used brush.

I invite you to watch my video, and I encourage you to do your own brushes. You will save money. I hope you like the video, all the best and have a save fishing, Antonio

Here is the link to my video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEE-gHPj1g

Nice demonstration of your brush making method. Putting three coats of epoxy with $1 to $2 brushes on the number of lures you can epoxy given the working time with a batch of epoxy and how many lures can be coated while the epoxy is workable comes to a lot of money and a lot of brushes.

Here is an idea for you. Try removing the brush from the epoxy pot before the epoxy sets and stand it up by the other end in a tall enough glass or cup. It might be a bit easier to remove the old bristles for the next use.

For us fly tyers you're missing one thing. Use the first cut of brush fibers tied to the stick for your epoxy. The feather end of the brush is not needed for most epoxy coats but would make great fibbet tails on dry flies. If you want the fine ends for epoxy great but if you don't need it stick it and small envelopes and give it to your dry fly tying buddies.

You can also make some good brushes out of toothpicks and stacked deer or elk hair. Just "gently" anchor the toothpick in your vise, tie thread on the small end, clip hair from the hide, clean out underfur-short fibers, stack the hair and tie it to the toothpick. Whip-finish and trim as needed. Takes only about a minute per brush. Take care & ...