Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Opinions on this fly, please.

Might not be the right way, but I usually use a short shank in the front, longer shank in the back.

Q-tips are way cheaper than hooks.

Hook size can be varied with size of quarry when on or at the water.

My son-in-law and daughter have killed the LM on the ranch ponds they fished in 2016, some with tubes I did for them.

I to use a lot of generic Q Tips to make them. The fly separates from the hook so all you have is the hook. You use smaller hook that decrease their leverage. You can change hooks without changing the fly. They don't tangle in your box.

Kevin

A trailer hook, designed to catch those short striking fish, works better if it trails farther behind. So, that one should work well, Bimini.

On the other hand, you might be gill hooking fish that inhale the whole fly.

Good luck with them, either way.

Thanks.

Yeah, that is my main reason to not have really tied a lot... I truly feel horrible when I make a fish bleed.

I have only tried a couple before and they looked crappy, but they had amazing action. Fish inhaled them, so I wonder about the real need for the trailer in my situation.

I'm with you on the tandem-hook thing, Bimini -- I only use them in the spring and fall, when the water is colder and the fish tend to short-strike more, and even then I make sure the trailer hook is much smaller and well back from the front hook.. I'd rather miss a fish than gill-hook it and possibly kill it. I've been switching over to Senyo's articulated shanks in place of the front hook on most of my articulated flies. I would really like to get into tube flies as well, for all the reasons mentioned in the posts above.

You do have the choice ... I saw it mentioned, on this thread or another ... of snapping off the rear hook point. Tie the articulated pattern, then break just the bend off the rear hook. All the benefits of articulated flies, without the trouble of two hooks.

Bimini

What Mike said. Btw, one of my favorite streamer patterns for bass is the wedding veil fly. It is not articulated but I'm sure you could make it that way. I've fished a lot of articulated flies including the game changer but I haven't seen a lot better production. In fact the converse is probably true. My guess is that I'm doing something wrong. For bass fishing I like a popper, dahlberg diver, stealth bomber for the top of the water column. For the middle of the column I like the wedding veil or clouded, and for the bottom the Leviathon bat. Rich Strolis also makes some nice streamers for the middle such as the hogsnare which is articulated and the bloody baitfish which is not. Btw, I like the last white streamer you tied. I fish a whole lot with white in the pattern.

Thank you all for the ideas.

I found something interesting from Bug Wild on Youtube. He has a Sloppy Seconds streamer with a hook in the back and an articulated shank in front. Of course he makes it look great and easy. Will add to the list of things to try.