Fly Tying
vmthtr in green bay

Need to find .5mm purple razor foam

I've never seen .5 purple contact wandy-foam they may have a small amount not listed on web? other than that thin foam packing sheets (white) sometimes you can find colors maybe purple for Easter? or like others said color with a marker. best of luck.

Looking at that pattern I would use a layer of purple 2mm instead of a black 1mm and a purple .5mm. The fish will only see the purple. You could use a black sharpie on top if you absolutely had to. The extra .5mm won't mess with the tying too terribly bad and aid in buoyancy as well. My two cents.

theres a youtube video in which the tyer uses 2 pieces of 1mm foam.

get the 1mm purple (stretch it a bit if its that important), tie some flies and go fishing

I haven't needed any more foam in a while, but I wanted to see what was in the shelf at my local Wal-Mart.

The small packs are paper thin. I'd say it's as close as you can get to .5mm.

The others are closer to 1mm, I think.

This should work fine for what you're trying to do.

post-59266-0-91801200-1492433535_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-77597500-1492433553_thumb.jpg

not sure what kind of foam this is but you could call the manufacturer or seller to find out (good luck). keep in mind its sticky back too if that matters or ruins it for you

https://www.amazon.com/Antiskid-Tennis-Racket-41-inch-Length/dp/B016ZCVOIS

and here's a US sports store that sells it online to see if they might be of any help as far as what type of foam it is

https://goalperformer.com/products/foam-antiskid-tennis-racket-grip-tape-41-inch-length-purple?gclid=CPrqtOGsrdMCFQ-4wAodiPkIuQ

if all else fails, like someone else said, using 1mm foam for both pieces isn't gonna ruin the fly, but i'm sure you wanna just make it easier on yourself