Fly Tying
vmthtr in green bay

Need to find .5mm purple razor foam

This is 2mm. My local store has packs half this size for about $6, with purple.

Craft stores usually have single sheets in different colors and thicknesses also.

I'm not sure why you would need .5, unless you meant 5, but this 2 is pretty thin. A little stretch when tying it in, and it will flatten out quite a bit.

post-59266-0-02295300-1491779585_thumb.jpg

This is totally a suggestion based on other materials. I have never tried this with foam sheet.

But with MANY rubber/plastic materials, boiling water is hot enough to allow for deforming. If you take a 2 mm purple foam strip, dip it in boiling water for several seconds, then stretch it and hold it while it cools, it might be possible to thin the strip closer to what you want.

Be sure to have both ends of the strip out of the water, so you can grasp those ends, to stretch the middle without scalding yourself.

I went back and checked my foam from Wal-Mart. I actually have 1mm. You can smash it, and it will stay compressed at .5mm. You might lose flotation, but it may not matter depending on your uses.

In the pic..in the left is 1mm. To the right is what I smashed.

post-59266-0-78047300-1491919801_thumb.jpg

or use a different material on size 16 and 18? if you boil, stretch, or smash foam, the bubbles which make it FOAM and give it buoyancy are compromised. On that smal size fly you can find many other materials which are easier to deal with and achieve the same goal.

you can wrap 1mm foam on a size 16, 18 and 20 hook as shown below.

however, just wrapping the foam around the hook using as little tension as possible it has a tendency to stretch.

how ineffective or how many bubbles collapsed after wrapping, only testing will show. thats something i'm not about to do or even worry about.

DSCN09563%20sizes_zps6zraxz7y.jpg