Fly Tying
cllvt

Rotating vise - do you use "rotation"?

I have several "true rotary" or In Line Rotary vises and would never change back to the early style of non rotary (Thompson) or HMH designs.

I belive "true rotary" was coined by Ed Story at Feathercraft, it differentiates between "hook in line rotary" and the earlier vises like the HMH and others of that general design.

The higher priced vises are worth the investment IMHO, if you factor in the number of hours in front of the vise vs. the time actually using a new rod,reel and line......the vise is pennies a day over its lifetime.

I am not a commercial tyer and use the rotary whenver it fits the application of materials.

The arm does not "get in the way", it does have a short learning curve to get accustomed to the different hand position.

Would I do it again,,,,absolutely.

Regards,

Fred Krow

I have two vices, a Nor-Vice and an HMH Pro. I used to have a Renzetti style off-set vise and hated it. I do alot of work on the underside of the hook and that damned arm was always getting in the way. If you tie a lot of Clousers you will curse an off-set vise.

Neither of my vises is perfect, but I wouldn't trade them for anything else out there.

DITTO troutbum, i myself use the danvise and i wouldn't trade it for the world. i believe , like i had stated in another post about vises, a tyer becomes accustomed to his or her vise. when you use a certain style of vice for an extented time you ajust your techniques to suit the style of vise you use. sorta like using the same shotgun for years. it becomes an extention of yourself. when i first got the danvise i thought it akward but now i slide around the dang thing like it's a third hand. Bud

I use a Renzetti master, o.k. it's expensive (and it's more here in Italy) , but if you tie lots of flies it's absolutely fabulous. I made an experiment: I tied a fly on #28 hook and just after another one on a S/W #4/0, without adjustment!!

I don't know another vise that do that.

Federico.

I too tie on a Danvise and use the rotary more all the time, especially since I got the video from Al Beatty. Can't beat the vise for price and simplicity of operation.

I use the Renzetti Travler and absolutely love it. The rotary is a valuable feature to have on any vise. It's priceless for things like wrapping the shank with lead and palmoring hackle, ect.

I love it the most when dealing with dubbing loops. With the fixed head, my bobbin would seem to get in the way and just be a pain while trying to wrap the loop around the shank. With the Renzetti, after making the loop you just half hitch, throw it on the bobbin cradle, and spin your way to perfection.....

-Kurt

cool.gif I use the Dyna-King professional vice and cannot use an offset Rotary system vise. In fact I see so many tyers who use the various rotaries and they really do not or cannot use the feature that it was designed for. When I need to have a rotary feature I merely adjust the head of the Dyna-King to the horizontal position and it's as "true" rotary as I will need in an instant. I can say that I have never been happier with the Dyna-King and I still have my old Thompson (ca. 1951), my Orvis vise (ca. 1960) and I sold a Renzetti Traveler (ca. whenever) after two weeks, which I thought had a horrendous system for gripping the hook. I see that there is a clamp system now available for the Renzetti which should make the vise much more efficient. rolleyes.gif

True rotary is based on the Physics 101 terminology of rotation. Something which is rotary spins on its own axis. Many vises that are marketed as rotary in fact move the hook shank around the axis and in fact are better described as orbital. To distinguish between these two types of "rotary" vises, the terms "true rotary" or "in-line rotary" were developed. Far from being meaningless, this distinction is important to the tier entering the market for advanced vises. In addition, to looking at the type of rotation, a shopper should also look at a prospective vise to see if it has a jaw adjustment that allows hook shanks on the full range of hook sizes to be centered on the vises rotational axis. If the hook shank is not maintained on the axis, the tension you hold on your material will keep oscillating as the shank moves back and forth thus defeating one of the benefits of the vise. Finally, if the hook shank is kept on the true axis of rotation, it won't snag extra wraps of thread from a bobbin resting on a cradle as you spin it. More tham 'enuf said!

I have a Renzetti Traveler. I use all the features. I bought mine about a year ago. It is not the latest cam style of clamp, but I do not have any problems with this clamp. In fact, I bought this vise after trying it and a Dyna-King. I liked this clamp better than the Dyna-king. And for my large paws, the Dyna-king just was not comfortable for me. The arm felt like it was getting in my way.

I got to see the Nor-Vise in action at a fly show earlier this month. Norman was demonstrating his creation not far from the table we had set up for the ISA. I must say I was impressed with what he could do with that vise. I would not turn one down, but I can do what I need with my Traveler and don't see a need to add a Nor-vise as well. If I did decide to add a second vise, I would certainly consider the Nor-vise.

One other thing I have not seen mentioned yet. Renzetti does make something called a "clouser arm" for their "true rotary" vises. You can check the Renzetti Clouser Traveler vise on the Renzetti web site for a picture and more details.

One last comment: The name "True Rotary" is a Registered Trademark for Renzetti. I know that some have been using this as a generic description for any in-line rotary vise. I have done that myself, but I do use a Renzetti. Try visiting TrueRotary.com. This takes you to the Renzetti web site.

More later,

Ken S.

Hi troutscout,

Say, I'm not a physics whiz but I'd like to know what relevance the word true has to a discussion of rotation as relates to vises. Can you point me to somewhere in "physics 101" where I can study up on that?

You know what someone discussing the so called "true" rotary vise means because you are versed in tying. What about someone who doesn't know even what a vise is? True rotary? What would this mean to someone like that? Nothing. Short of a long dissertation on the function of a given vise it seems to me that "in line rotary" does narrow the focus a bit and separates what we are discussing from a simple rotary vise such as the Regal rotary vise.

Sometimes we forget that not everyone in the room knows as much as we do so we can easily talk over the less informed's heads. Seems to me that there are plenty of confusing terms in this craft and anything we can do to simplify things is good.

Happy Trails!

Ronn

I have the Dyna-King Voyager 2 and believe it or not I have never used the rotary feature. I don't know why, possibly I tied for so long without one, my habits are so set and I'm probably too bullheaded to change. wallbash.gif Right now though, with the problems I've been having in my back and neck, I have a hard time even sitting down at the tying table. Maybe if I take some time away, the old habits will slowly bury themselves and I can start new and use all the features I have.

Mike

I finally got a rotary vise about a year and half ago, a Danvise. My problem is that I've tied so long on my Thompson Model A that I forget at least 3/4 of the time to use the rotary features. Twenty plus years of habit is hard to break. i'm getting better though.

Mark Delaney

Hey look ... a can of worms on a flytying site! Rotary vises are great. Ask friends if you can tie on theirs or even try them out in your local fly shop. For me, a totally cheapo Griffin Spyder (with another base) works great. Good luck!

QUOTE (lanvaettir @ Feb 28 2005, 02:18 PM)
Hey look ... a can of worms on a flytying site!

laugh.gif clapping.gif Nicely done. Thanks, I needed that. clapping.gif lol.gif

Ken S