Fly Tying
Idaho RC

Renzetti Master Vise Rotary Parachute Attachment?

Here is my old Renzetti Master serial no. 305 with attachment no. X8008.

Found it in a box of accessories.

Regards,

FK

I knew I had seen pictures on a Master somewhere. I could not remember what it actually looked like I just remembered seeing something mounted in that hole as a gallows. Thanks so much for posting the pictures. It doesn't look like yours will rotate. Is it just the angle of the pictures?

I think the current non-rotary gallows tool works at least as well as the through tool, but then I don't know for sure. Those examples given above seem to work just fine, although so does the non-rotary tool...I think. Gives more working room for tying.

You might be right. It's been fun experimenting. Time will tell.

I use an auxiliary rod to mount my parachute tool.

The C-Clamp from Peak Vise has an extra mounting hole

which also lets you mount a lamp. I have ghosted back the

rod that holds the vise so that you can see the extra rod.

The pedestal base from Peak also has an extra mounting hole

for an accessory shaft.

18121231_1550476174963685_37269583317906

Kimo

Sweet setup and an awesome picture. Thanks for sharing.

How are your clamps attached to the rod? It looks like the hose type clamps that have the rubber behind them, but I have never seen anything that small. What are they?

Sweet setup and an awesome picture. Thanks for sharing.

How are your clamps attached to the rod? It looks like the hose type clamps that have the rubber behind them, but I have never seen anything that small. What are they?

I assume you are talking about these pieces?

They are just a washer with a groove in the middle.

It's used to protect a piece of wire strung thru a piece

of metal from fraying.

You can find them at any hardware store like Ace Hardware.

I have to admit that I don't use the clamps that much

except to hold the feathers out of the way. I use the paper clip hooks the most.

18157368_1551073838237252_85143640049314

Kimo

Idaho RC,

Yes the vertical dog leg shaft will rotate, it is held in place with lock screw on the vise main stem.

However, the brass coupling is fixed and does not rotate.

Obviously the entire assembly will rotate with the rotary function on the main horizontal shaft and jaws.

Simple neat design,, it would be easy to duplicate in a home work shop.

Regards,

FK

A little late in posting this -

With some help from a great teacher here is what the JVice with gallows tool attached looks like.

It is a very simple yet effective tool to use. It can be added or removed in a matter of seconds and has just enough spring to hold great tension as the fly is completed by moving the hackle plier from the top of the arch to the back of of the arch. I use the TyFlyz Toolz hackle tweezer for just that purpose along with a little spring from the hardware store when needed.

UDdvlS5b.jpg

Charlie

After reading all of this fuss over a vise attachment that isn't necessary, I am convinced that my new design vise will outsell the LAW vise. Mine is hydraulically actuated with pressure sensing to put the perfect pressure on the hook. It is also motorized with a 6 speed gear box for rotary operations.

Mine is hydraulically actuated with pressure sensing to put the perfect pressure on the hook. It is also motorized with a 6 speed gear box for rotary operations.

LOL Do you have safety features, I.E. in case my fingers get too close to the hook point it'll stop spinning? Or auto-leveling, like seats in new cars, that raise and lower the vise for different users?

Can't have TOO many "cool" features !!!

Maybe my vise, the MMTB Mach1, should have even more "cool features" as Mike suggests - maybe a 4 function memory that will remember the vise settings for 4 different tyers. And of course every concievable safety inter-lock to prevent whacking the tyer while in motorized rotary mode. BTW - the MMTB Mach1 is named for the silly asses who can dish out $7,000.00 US for the vise (MMTB stands for More Money Than Brains)!!!

In case you need to replace your Yeti -

Check this out:

https://coolest.com

MMTB forever!!!

Apologies for the hijack, but Idaho what is that "D" shaped tool between your scissors and the head cement bottle in your photo in post #20?

Apologies for the hijack, but Idaho what is that "D" shaped tool between your scissors and the head cement bottle in your photo in post #20?

Recently there was talk about different types of Hackle Pliers. I decided to give these a try

3054.Jpg

These were my favorites

The long Stonfo brand

5203.Jpg

I am not sure which are my favorites now. I like them both for different reasons. The Stonfo spring is really soft and works really well. I just used the D shaped ones for biots and they worked great. I think I will end up using both. These are from J Stockard but you can buy them at many different places.

Here is my old Renzetti Master serial no. 305 with attachment no. X8008.

Found it in a box of accessories.

Regards,

FK

Thanks for,selling me your old Renzetti gallows attachment. It's certainly the dogs bollocks when it comes to tying Quigley hackle stackers and any other parachute style fly for that matter. It will fully rotate with the vise head if that's what you want. I just cannot see any reason why Renzetti would stop making them in favor for one that does not rotate.

What are the advantages to the ones that rotate? I have a hard time visualizing why a post inverted is easier to tie.