Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Simple Streamer

Great simple streamer -- I especially like the flash body material from FTD--clearly I need to go over there and look around, haven't done so in a while and I was unaware of this stuff. You also got me to (finally) pull the trigger and order some Solarez and a light. smile.png

Have you used the resin yet? Which resin did you buy? Let me know what you think.

I tend to be cheap when it comes to buying materials, this is why almost all my flies use FTD stuff, and all my resins are solarez. They are the best deals for quality stuff. At least that I've found.

I just ordered the Solarez today. Your video got me thinking about trying UV cure resins again, so I did some Googling and ended up reading a very good "shootout" that was done on various UV resins on flyfishfood.com. From there I went to Amazon and got the Solarez Fly-Tie 3-Pack (Thick Hard, Thin Hard, Thin Flex), as well as a light that was recommended in the shootout. The whole bunch cost me $30 and change, not bad. :) I'm excited to get my hands on it and do some experimenting.

Double post - disregard, sorry

Great simple streamer -- I especially like the flash body material from FTD--clearly I need to go over there and look around, haven't done so in a while and I was unaware of this stuff. You also got me to (finally) pull the trigger and order some Solarez and a light. smile.png

Have you used the resin yet? Which resin did you buy? Let me know what you think.

I tend to be cheap when it comes to buying materials, this is why almost all my flies use FTD stuff, and all my resins are solarez. They are the best deals for quality stuff. At least that I've found.

I just ordered the Solarez today. Your video got me thinking about trying UV cure resins again, so I did some Googling and ended up reading a very good "shootout" that was done on various UV resins on flyfishfood.com. From there I went to Amazon and got the Solarez Fly-Tie 3-Pack (Thick Hard, Thin Hard, Thin Flex), as well as a light that was recommended in the shootout. The whole bunch cost me $30 and change, not bad. smile.png I'm excited to get my hands on it and do some experimenting.

I just ordered the Solarez today. Your video got me thinking about trying UV cure resins again, so I did some Googling and ended up reading a very good "shootout" that was done on various UV resins on flyfishfood.com. From there I went to Amazon and got the Solarez Fly-Tie 3-Pack (Thick Hard, Thin Hard, Thin Flex), as well as a light that was recommended in the shootout. The whole bunch cost me $30 and change, not bad. smile.png I'm excited to get my hands on it and do some experimenting.

Let me know how they do for you. I will say, I have used a light that I bought once for like $15 on amazon. It took like 30 seconds or longer to cure the resin's. Not sure which light you got, but it might be better. Hopefully it is. The light Solarez sells cures most of their resins in like 5 seconds flat. Its a flippin torch. LOL

Also, the flex formula is a lot like Loon "knot sense" and can be used to cure knots. I use it fairly often when attaching fly line to backing with a nail knot. Also it can be used as a wader repair on the river.

Nice tie Mc Fly! I will diffidently be trying that one out. I

I tried Solarez about a year ago with the Solarez light and love it.