Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brodrash

Koi Fly Recommendations

Anybody fish for them? If so what flies/techniques do you use? Every once in a while I go try my luck with some koi at a local pond. I've only ever caught one and it was on an olive leach. The fish took it immediately after the fly hit the water, almost like a reaction strike from a LMB. I thought that was quite strange behavior for a koi.

Koi are colorful common carp. Nothing fancy except the color. They, like wild common carp, are omnivorous, eating vegetation, aquatic insect and crustaceans opportunistically. If you put something in front of it without spooling it, you stand a chance of getting a hit.

If you want an edge, scent your fly with anise or vanilla.

Oh that makes a lot of Sense mike thanks! Obviously if I had known that I would not have posted this topic, but if anyone still wants to reply have at it!

FRN, Yeah Im sure that would go over as about as well as fishing for the 20+ inch trout at the mall in Salt lake city LOL

My Dad worked trains pulled by an E-4 Hudson, like your avatar, FRn. At least, as long as it was in service.

The Koi and Common are very similar. Both are opportunistic omnivores.

The Grass is almost always an introduced "triploid" and sterile fish that feeds, almost exclusively, on vegetation. Their digestive system has evolved differently to get more from vegetation. Triploid refers to the genetic "fooling around" done to make them sterile ... like mules (generally).

Oh, and the carp that are making all the problems aren't Grass Carp. They're "Bighead" and "Silver" carp.

laugh.png I'm sure they'll be hard fighters, in a couple of years. I'm eyeing some of those larger ciclids you have INDOORS !!!

When I was a kid, there was a neighborhood pond in my community. It had bass, bluegill and koi... The koi were from people releasing their pet goldfish in the pond when they got too big. I caught them a few times as a kid with a pea and a really small hook. I would fish with a size 16 or smaller hook, and tie up a corn fly, pea fly, egg fly, something like that. Maybe throw on a real pea, corn or something.

My Dad worked trains pulled by an E-4 Hudson, like your avatar, FRn. At least, as long as it was in service.

7002SteamEngineFile_500p.jpg

Having difficulties with avatars....

but here is my rendering of Union Pacific 7002. The Omaha shops did two knockoffs of the Hudson steamers. This engine and 2906. Both are ALCO builds. 2906 ran from Omaha (Council Bluffs) to Cheyenne and 7002 did the stretch from Cheyenne to Ogden. My grandfather operated both at the North Platte Roundhouse mostly the 2906. These were the only "shrouded" steam locomotives that Union Pacific had running, mostly as reserve power used when the normal diesel Streamliner units (900 series) were in for repairs, etc. The paint jobs on these two are unusual as other steam engines were black-gray and the Diesels were Armour Yellow and Red.

I've only seen them once in my local creek after some very high water, must have been washed out of someone's pond. They seemed to be behaving just like a common carp just couldn't get them interested in any of the nymphs I tossed at them. Don't think they survived the next winter or the herons. Haven't seen any since then. For a while we had some feral goldfish in the creek. Looked to be about 12 inches long and showed some interest in small dry flies. They were around for two or three years then disappeared.

Only large koi I've seen caught was taken on floating bread. Same thing that catches most of the common carp in this particular pond.