Fly Tying
breambuster

Ultimate Challenge - Your Greatest Nightmare Fly Swap

Fishingbob, don't sweat the cataract surgery. It's really no big deal. It takes about 10 minutes when they finally get started. Vision improvement is very rapid. I began wearing glasses for nearsightedness when I was in the 7th grade and moved up to contacts when I was in the 10th grade. I wore contacts until I was about 66 when I had my first cataract surgery on my left eye. I had the right eye done this past Christmas. I went with a Torex lens which corrected my vision to 20/20. The day I had my left eye done, my wife and I met some other couples for supper that evening. I did everything I would have normally done except for driving there and back. The day I had my right eye done the Thursday after Christmas, I went for my violin lesson that same afternoon at 5:00. No problem seeing the printed page. But again I had to have a driver. The next day I could drive with no problems. I did my regular routine the following Sunday. The day after surgery, I was seeing almost 20/20 the next day, and was at 20/20 or better in just a few days. The most aggravating part about cataract surgery is that you have to continue the drops for several weeks after surgery. Other than that, you'll be seeing almost perfectly by the end of the day of surgery. You can tie flies in a day or two with no problems. The procedure is painless. The only thing you will feel is wet, coldness when they moisten your eyes during surgery. Get a good pair of sunglasses. You will be amazed at how much brighter the world seems after surgery. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

Take care

BB

Thanks for the pics of the whole group, GP!

You know, guys, I am actually proud of the Adams flies I tied for this swap. It's a simple pattern, it seems like everyone knows how to tie it, and, when I look at it next to everyone else's ties I think "Holy schnitzel! I actually sent an Adams to this swap? WTH was I thinking?" But this swap, more than any of the others I've done, really made me buckle down. I always try to tie and send my best but I think I learned more about thread control and proportions in this swap than I've learned in the last year of tying. Still miles to go in comparison to a lot of the stuff I see on this site but I'm getting there.

Thanks to all of you for the great flies and for the inspiration. I know I'll try to copy all of them so I don't have to burn through this set fishing with them.

Wow, I'm getting around to checking this week's mail, and man, oh, man, oh, man! What a fantastic set of really, really, well-tied flies. To all, thanks for all the hard work. To BB, thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration to get past the difficulties and attempt the challenge. Brilliant swap!

Just got mine today. Out of the 20 or so swaps i've done over the years on the FTF, this is one of my favorite sets to date! Crazy variety and awesome quality. Nice tying y'all!

Hoping to catch some 20+ inch browns and bows on the Green River with this bunch.

Thanks for hosting Bream!

Dorado

My box finally arrived on Tuesday. Great flies everyone! Some real standouts in there! Hoping to get a few wet this holiday weekend.