Fly Tying
jim@jimfeltz.com

Fly Tying Article

Hi. My name is Jim. I'm doing some research for an article on fly tying for a non-fishing magazine and was wondering on your thoughts on a few questions. These may seem a little basic, but again... this is for a non-fishing magazine.

- Why tie flies as opposed to purchasing them?

- What's the best state for fly fishing?

- Who are the legends of Fly Tying?

- Who are the younger, up and coming fly tyers in the game right now?

Thanks for your time.

Hi. My name is Jim. I'm doing some research for an article on fly tying for a non-fishing magazine and was wondering on your thoughts on a few questions. These may seem a little basic, but again... this is for a non-fishing magazine.

- Why tie flies as opposed to purchasing them?1

- What's the best state for fly fishing?2

- Who are the legends of Fly Tying?3

- Who are the younger, up and coming fly tyers in the game right now?4

Thanks for your time.

1 For me, I tie to fish. I only tie enough flies for one or two outings. So, I save money by tying my own. I've been tying and fishing for several decades, and I would've gone through $50 to $100 in flies a year. Thus, I'd have spent several thousand dollars buying flies. Instead, I've got about $400 in tying materials for all that time.

Other people have other reasons.

2 Florida ... for me ... since that's where I live.

3 You'll have to do your own research for that one. There are plenty of resources that outline the lineage of fly fishing and fly tying ... get to it !!!

You'll get a list of names from other members here ... a few hundred names, maybe.

4 I am not a "fan" of fly tying or the people who do it. I tie what works for me, not patterns that others are famous for tying. So, again, you might need to do your own research for this.

You'll get a list from members on this, too ... a few thousand names, maybe.

Good luck !!!

Guest rich mc

1 i tie to custom fit the fly to where im fishing and how i want it to act. and have the preferred hook size , not what some exec thinks would sell

2 basically any state that doesnt freeze in the winter to allow fly fishing all 12 months

3 legends to me are lefty krey, dan blanton, flip, and bob clouser

4 drew chicone, craig riendeau

1. Its fun, keeps me out of trouble, I do sell them as well which has lead to some cool experiences and meeting new people, and its much more rewarding rather than just going to Basspro..

2. Florida, hands down. We literally have everything, from rainbow trout(lake in Jax) to Marlin. Never snows, weather is warm, perfect..

3. Lefty kreh, bob clouser, Steve huff, luis menocal, chico Fernandez, list goes on..

4. drew chicone, nick davis(239flies), pat Cohen, Taylor topliffe, Jesse males

Good luck with the article and make sure to share it with us!

1. I tie flies because I enjoy it. It's cheaper to buy them than to invest a lot of money in tools and components but then you're missing out on the fun. Tying flies is a past-time.

2. No best state. If you're only targeting a single species, you have to be where that species lives. No snook in Michigan, no brook trout in FL.

3. Isaac Walton because he wrote about fly fishing (among other fishing) a way back when. Dame Juliana Berners, same period as Walton.

4. I don't know all their names, but a lot of them. Lee Wulff, for one. Davie McPhail, many others. Hans Weilerman. The guys who tied the Adams and the Muddler.

5. Fly tying up and coming? Can't name them because they're so many.

jim, you don,t ty flies and you probably don,t fly fish or even fish at all and your writting an article for a non fishing magazine? the whole thing sounds pretty silly to me..does it make sense to you?

I tye because I can't draw or paint yet I can tye a fly that is pleasing to me and when I'm lucky I might catch a fish or two. I also hunt and it allows me to use more of the animal that I killed.

Best state. Wow that's a loaded question.

Fly Tyers. Another loaded question. Poke around on this site and you'll see some amazing stuff.

Good luck on your article!

Hi non fishing Jim,

1 . I started tying to sell flies, it worked for a little while, it helped supplement my fishing addiction while my low paying military career provided my needs. After retirement more tying equals less fishing, so I balance tying, fishing and my post retirement job. I tie instead of buying for my own satisfaction I probably do not save money tying, but I fish with custom crafted, well tied, durable flies. I will on occasion buy flies from guides and tiers at shows to support them. Never from big box stores or discount houses - I would rather fish worms.

2. The best state is the one your in, the state of mind to fish for what ever swims.

3. For me it all started with a book from George Leonard Herter. Charlie Malley, Dick Talluer, Art Flick, David Goulet, Bryant Freeman, David Brant, Lee Wulff, Al & Gretchen Beatty, A.K. Best plus countless others.

4. Up and coming is a term that is hard to define. With the exception of Lee Wulff most of the above tiers where / are commercial tiers tying tens of thousands of flies. Today I believe fewer local tiers tie for shops but we have some amazing fly pattern innovators that are doing things with different materials. Just search this forum and other sites, all sports change, patterns and materials evolve, due to lack of classic materials or a better mousetrap.

I have to completely agree with you on #1 Hubert, hit it right on the head!

I can imagine that from these replies alone Mr. Jim is set to go for his article! Good luck to him..

1) To save money. I only have maybe a 150 bucks wrapped up in the tools, most of which I've had for 20 or more years. Us cheap bastards save lots of money.

2) PA because the grass is never greener else where.

3) I don't hero worship fly tiers. Couldn't tell you who is a legend and who isn't.

4) Don't know, don't care. Us cheap bastards are in it to save money.

1) I tie because it keeps me connected to the sport I love when I can't actually be doing it, plus I get satisfaction out of fooling a fish on something I created with my own hands.

2) Every fly fisherman should fish in Montana at least once in their lives.

3) Syd Glasso, Randall Kaufmann, Bob Clouser

4) Aren't all fly tyers old?

1. It's more enjoyable to catch a fish on something I tied. As well as saving money.

2. Wyoming

3. Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, Lee Wulff

4. Drew Chiccone, Nick from 239 flies, FlatsRoamer

Wow. Thank you all so much for your replies. Again, this is very preliminary research - an assignment from a magazine, by the way, Ben - but I'll be sure to share the article once it's done. Appreciate all the info.

Because the article hasn't been published, yet. Or even written.

Kind of like a reporter trying for an exclusive, then giving up his sources in "tweet".