Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyerinpa

Caddis Flys

The answer to your question is yes. Different species prefer different water types.

You don't really need to "study bugs and things." Look up nymph videos on YouTube ... like this one:

Getting kind of old to start studying bugs and things, what I'm wondering is do caddis flys hatch in still water or in riffles ?

I don't believe that one is ever "too old" to learn about aquatic insects. This is one of the best reads on Caddisflies and it will enhance one's fly fishing experience tenfold...

3YOHfsL.jpg

PT/TB

This goes for any dry fly.

It doesn't matter to me where they hatch.

They will all eventually end up in still water or in riffles and will get eaten.

One of the largest caddis hatches I've ever seen came out of the riffle waters on a river I was fishing in Vermont. Literally overwhelmed the Green Drake hatch that was occurring at the same time. Fortunately, I had my box of caddis patterns with me and I was able to catch a couple trout with them. I've seen them on many of the lakes I've fished, usually in the evening.