Fly Tying
vicrider

Wanna do the EuroOrBust swap...

I've been playing with this attractor pattern a few years now, works great on my local northeast tailwaters, misty mountain sparkle pupa. . .

post-61662-0-04506600-1500942019_thumb.jpg

Future swaps gonna see a lot of size 14 Tiemco from me. Got a good buy on 125 of them. Already used one box of 25. That's half of my fly for the swap. Looking forward to this one. Most of us who start out tying work on getting a couple of simpler patterns to look good. Can anyone say woolybugger? Then we progress to copying other people's flies but it doesn't take long before we think of some minnows I saw in a trout stream with bright blue sides and no flies called for that. Then we think of a combo that in our mind will combine just the right ingredients and become the next famous Prince Nymph. Maybe some of these actually work pretty well, meaning about as good as the old standards do, but they're our fly and we feel darn good about the fish that mistake our concoction for a real fly pattern. It's some of those ideas I'm hoping we all get to see in this swap. For a new guy EoB came up with a new idea that seemed to click with many of us.

Nick

Woodenlegs, yours were the first to arrive. Just picked them up yesterday and they are subtle elegance. A very similar fly (there's really nothing new) from another member as an extra in a swap had turned out to be by far the best producer alongside the name flies bought at the fly shop. Size is very good for what I think you're simulating. One thing. You had one tag with two flies and I'm assuming that was a bonus for me but in actuality we needed 13 for this swap anyway so it worked out perfect. When I counted tags my first thought was one short and I'd just bypass my fly but then when I got last one out it worked out perfect. Hope your box is big enough. Mine won't fit but it's sure a cool box for a swap. Should get a picture of that and put it on the board.

I have never had to drop out of a swap before, but my eyes have forced me to take a break. After a visit to the eye Dr. this morning, where I complained about not seeing well, I was told I need cataract surgury. I start the process Thursday. Hopefully this will solve the problem and I will be back at the vise soon. Sorry to have to quit.