Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Eyes?

find a super cheap set of half hitch tools and fill in each end with solder to make multiple diameters of eye painting tools

IMG_2485.JPG

if you can find them, wasatch made an excellent set of tools for making eyes

wasatch-4443.jpg

brass rods in different diameters from the hobby store

1943_Image.jpg

+ so many more items to use

If you are doing this for the satisfaction of doing it all yourself, I appreciate that and I have nothing else to say.

But I went through the same steps myself and, by the time you add up various tools you may buy in search of the perfect circle and the materials, you can buy a lifetime supply of assorted eyes that look better than the ones I made.

B15 you're right! I'm just sparkle/flash crazy lately. The dotted gems are experiment. Not sure how they're gonna work out. Mirage eyes have great sparkle and bout as handy as you can get. Do they makeem in colors though? By the time you Solarez the gems cuz not sure the painted dots are gonna last you loose some of the sparkle the facets create. Half the fun of this stuff is creating better things but you can get carried away....

Found these sheets of "rhinestones" at AC Moore. They were like $4 a sheet. They are adhesive on the back. They look fine to me as they are, but tried a bit of black sharpie on the top facet. I then put a small drop of my "as seen on TV uv resin" and they really popped.post-61693-0-57129700-1506731716_thumb.jpgpost-61693-0-01432000-1506731774_thumb.jpgpost-61693-0-77658700-1506731810_thumb.jpgpost-61693-0-20084100-1506731848_thumb.jpg

I simply paint the eyes right on the popper. I use the non cutting end of drill bits for the eye dots.

That is a great idea. You can get a 117 piece drill bit set cheap. Who cares if it is made in China and couldn't drill into a dog turd. You will have virtually every size you would want.

I simply paint the eyes right on the popper. I use the non cutting end of drill bits for the eye dots.

That is a great idea. You can get a 117 piece drill bit set cheap. Who cares if it is made in China and couldn't drill into a dog turd. You will have virtually every size you would want.

Be sure to pay attention to the "flat" end of the drills you're buying. You might get 117 piece set with tapered ends that need to be ground down to actually give you the diameter you want for your eyes.

Still, if you've got a "Harbor Freight" near you ... it's a good idea to go look!