Fly Tying
utyer

Super Cheap DYI Dubbing:

With Amazon Prime $13.30 shipped.

KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades, 3-Ounce.

The first thing I do with a coffee grinder, is dull the blades. You want to mix and blend the dubbing while preserving the fibers, not chop it into dust. It usually takes less than 45 seconds to mix up a batch, and that is in multiple short pulses. Once it stops spinning (usually within 5 seconds,) I take it out, and turn the stuff over.

Once done, you can also blend colors in a few short blender bursts that leaves them separated in a layered blend. Of course, mixing in a bit of chopped high- viz antron can also add a hint of flash to the dubbing.....

Rocco

Went looking for the Offray reflective material NoahGuide showed to us above. I did not find it at Joanne's where my wife buys all her crafting stuff.

But I did come across another 'find' under the Offray label. It is called ribbon ruban centa and comes on the same spool seen in NoahGuide's post. It is a flat ribbon @ 1.5" across made up of very fine, highly reflective, silver variegated strands that are woven together by an even finer -- gossamer? -- thread. The stuff has very good fish scale imitating qualities. The strands are about as thin as 4lb mono and they should have great movement in the water. Being so fine and whispy, the material can be used very sparsely to suggest scales w/o excessive flash or bunched up, as in the Kreelex -- which to me is a mini spinner bait..

You can readily separate the reflective strands from the woven backing by sliding the strands apart down the middle, slicing the woven thread, and pulling the stands free.There is about 9' of it on a spool and it cost @ $8; A lifetime's supply for me.

I'd love to find it in some other colors too, like gold. peacock, black,...

Regards,

Rocco

I looked at places close to me - northern NM - and didnt really find much in useful colors. I couldnt sleep last night so I Googled paracord. There is a place, I swear, called paracord planet that sells all types and lengths of paracord in 300 colors! Wow! 300! I had no idea!

Joe